Bob Marley, the world-renowned Jamaican singer and a songwriter, was hailed as one of the most popular figures of his time. These days, his very name evokes feelings of peace, calmness, ease, and happiness. However, it would be a big mistake to assume that Marley’s actual life story was as happy, easy, or carefree as his enchanting songs may lead you to believe.
In fact, Bob Marley’s life was quite the opposite. He faced countless adversities. Adversities that most people know little of; adversities like being born to a poor 18 year-old mother, and growing up with an absentee father, adversities like growing up in the poorest slum in Kingston Jamaica.
Without question, Bob Marley’s experienced hardship after hardship through out his life, especially in his younger years, yet he never stopped preaching his message through his music to inspire the people. Despite many unpleasant experiences, he always stood up for what he thought was right.
As such, in honor of Bob Marley’s legacy, we aim to share with you some of the best Bob Marley quotes on love, life, success, and personal transformation. Hopefully you’ll allow his powerful words to inspire you to begin creating the world you most wish to have for yourself and others.
35 Best Bob Marley Quotes
1. “Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life.” – Bob Marley
2. “Beginnings are usually scary, and endings are usually sad, but it’s everything in between that makes it all worth living. – Bob Marley
3. “Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don’t give up the fight.” – Bob Marley
4. “When one door is closed, don’t you know, another is open.” – Bob Marley
5. “The winds that sometimes take something we love, are the same that bring us something we learn to love.” – Bob Marley
6 “Love the life you live. Live the life you follow.” – Bob Marley
7. “It’s your own conscience that is gonna remind you; that it’s your heart and nobody else’s that is gonna judge.” – Bob Marley
8. “We don’t have education, we have inspiration. If I was educated I would be a damn fool.” – Bob Marley
9. “Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.”
10. “You never know how strong you are until strong is the only choice you have.”
11. “The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
12. “Overcome the devils with a thing called love.” – Bob Marley
13. “Road of life is rocky and you may stumble too, so while you talk about me, someone else is judging you.” – Bob Marley
14. “It is better to live on the house top than to live in a house full of confusion.” – Bob Marley
15. “True friends are like stars; you can only recognize them when its dark around you.” – Bob Marley
16. “Enjoy your life now. This is not a rehearsal.” – Bob Marley
17. “Money is numbers and numbers never end. If it takes money to be happy, your search for happiness will never end.” – Bob Marley
18. “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you’re riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind.” – Bob Marley
19. “I didn’t change. I just found myself.” – Bob Marley
20. “The day you stop racing is the day you win the race.” – Bob Marley
21. “You have to be someone.” – Bob Marley
22. “The greatness of man is no how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.” – Bob Marley
23. “Some people are so poor, all they have is money.” – Bob Marley
24. “She may not be the most popular or prettiest, but if you love her and she makes you smile… what else matters?” – Bob Marley
25. “Love the life you live, live the life you love.” – Bob Marley
26. “Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.” – Bob Marley
27. “Don’t gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver and gold.” – Bob Marley
28. “Live for yourself and you will live in vain; live for others, and you will live again.” – Bob Marley
29. “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?” – Bob Marley
30. “Never expect God to do for you what you don’t do to others.” – Bob Marley
31. “Money can’t buy life.” – Bob Marley
32. “Possession make you rich? I don’t have that type of richness. My richness is life, forever.” – Bob Marley
33. “Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living.” – Bob Marley
34. “Your life is worth much more than gold.” – Bob Marley
35. “Put your vision to reality.” – Bob Marley
Bonus Bob Marley Quote:
Bonus: “Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny.” – Bob Marley
Final Thoughts on These Bob Marley Quotes
“Marley wasn’t singing about how peace could come easily to the World but rather how hell on Earth comes too easily to too many. His songs were his memories; he had lived with the wretched, he had seen the downpressers and those whom they pressed down.”
– Mikal Gilmore, Rolling Stone
And that’s that. Hopefully you gained some inspiration from some of these powerful Bob Marley quotes. Marley’s music was one of a kind and special in its own right, and his words have been transforming lives for countless people year after year despite his death.
Take his words in, and let them change you, so you can change the world.
Till next time,