Last Updated on May 5, 2022
Outsourcing software projects is a common occurrence in the IT industry. While some enterprises have aced the art of choosing the right software development partner, a few other companies are still struggling to get it right.
The success of a project and the business relies on how well you choose the outsourcing service provider. A clear and defined approach will ensure that you find the exact offshore software company you want to hire.
This post will talk about software development partnerships and how you can choose the right software development partner for your business needs.
Meaning of Software Development Partnership
A software development partner is a technology company that offers a range of IT services to complete a software project. The technical party can be a consulting company or a group of IT companies with the necessary domain experience.
A software development partnership is between an enterprise and an offshore software development service provider hired to work on the given project. The service provider company uses its experts and resources to complete the project as per the schedule and hands it over to the enterprise.
A team from the enterprise can be in touch with the experts working on the project. However, it depends on the type of partnership/ agreement the two parties decide upon. The service provider company needs to have all possible information about the software project to provide high-quality results.
Why do Companies look for a Software Development Partner?
There are numerous reasons for companies to outsource major software projects. So, why do businesses even need to hire a software development partner? Why can’t they use the in-house teams for the project or hire more employees? Enlisted below are some of the reasons:
- Lack of in-house expertise to work on the software project
- Not enough resources to spend on an additional project
- Hiring experts is not feasible (either due to time or monetary constraints)
- The project is for the short-term and doesn’t require an excess expenditure
- The project is complicated and can be handled only by industry experts
- The in-house team cannot take up any new projects.
- The enterprise is branching into a new industry and doesn’t have the necessary infrastructure.
- The project is designed for the long-term, and the enterprise cannot expand its business any time soon.
- The in-house team can work only on certain aspects of the project, and the rest has to be completed by an external team
- Outsourcing will be cost-effective and time-saving in the given circumstances
- The internal team needs assistance from external software developers to build a premium software product
Unless the enterprise spends more money on software consulting services and is still unsure of the results, we can’t ignore the benefits of software development partner working offshore or onshore. How to Choose a Software Development Partner?
There’s no denying the advantages of having a software development partner; your business must hire the right offshore company for web development services. You need to consider cost, experience, timeline, goal, and requirements to employ the service provider who helps you achieve your targets.
Software development outsourcing became popular because of the numerous advantages it offers to businesses. However, all service provider companies are not the same. Look for the following when choosing a software development partner:
- Years of experience
- Range of services
- Domain expertise
- Number of software developers
- Agreement T&C
- Technology used
- Access to resources
- Flexibility and scalability
- Response time, etc.
Steps for Evaluating Software Development Partners in 2022
Prepare a List
The list should contain details about your project and the prospective outsourcing companies. Include factors such as:
- Scope of the project
- Requirements and expectations
- Team specifications, etc.
You’ll be better equipped to hire the right partner if you know all the finer aspects of the project. Then, look for the leading consulting companies that offer the services you require. Make a list of the service and the service providers.
Enquire and Evaluate
Since the internet is a go-to choice for every purpose, most enterprises look for outsourcing companies on search engines like Google. However, it is necessary to cast a wider net and dig for additional information. Sites like LinkedIn offer great B2B opportunities and help businesses find each other. Research as much as possible about every potential company and update the list.
Reading testimonials and reviews is not enough. You need to cross-check and confirm that the glowing references are genuine. Directly contact other businesses who hired the software company for outsourcing. Talk to the team that was in touch with the company. Contact a business from your niche and similar projects to get a better idea.
Location of the IT Consulting Company
Although it may not seem important in today’s virtual world, the location of the software development partner is still a deciding factor. Outsourcing is broadly categorized into the following:
- Onshoring: The project is outsourced to teams/ companies from the same country. It can be expensive in countries like the US.
- Offshoring: The project is outsourced to far-off countries that promise affordable services (like India).
- Nearshoring: The project is outsourced to companies from surrounding and nearby countries.
One of the primary reasons to outsource software development is cost. Compare the prices offered by the shortlisted companies to determine the most suitable choice for your project. That said, be careful about hidden costs and add-on expenses.
There’s no denying the advantages of software consulting services developing a high-quality software product in less time. You only need to take your time in choosing the right partner for your business requirements.
VLink is a leading software development partner for SMBs, SMEs, and large enterprises from different industries and locations. We have over sixteen years of experience and offer premium software development services at affordable prices.