If you are not familiar with Cowboy Bebop (which has been referred to as “the best anime series ever created”) you might be wondering what all the fuss is about. Let’s start with a bit of the back story.
Cowboy Bebop was actually created back in 1998, where it became a huge hit, both in Japan and the US. The show is a blend of film noir, action, and comedy, while also focusing on a vision of the future that revolves around humanity and space.
Some of these Cowboy Bebop quotes are from the movie, which was released in 2001, while others are from the show. Fans of the series were thrilled when it was announced that Netflix would revive the series into a live-action adaptation.
Spike Spiegel, the hitman who becomes a bounty hunter, should be making a return to our screens this fall. John Cho will play the role of Spike, while Mustafa Shakir assumes the role of Jet Black. Daniella Pineda will star as Faye Valentine.
This first season will be a ten-episode run. If you haven’t seen the original, or the movie, keep reading through these Cowboy Bebop quotes to discover more about what the show is about.
Cowboy Bebop quotes from the movie
1. “Is there an indelible line dividing sanity from insanity, or do they change, one into the other, at the slightest turn of events? We’ll find out, soon enough, that the world itself is insane.” — Vincent Volaju
2. “Know much about purgatory? It’s the place between heaven and hell, where those who were left behind, unable to get into heaven continue to suffer, a place of struggle and pain. In other words, the world that we’re in now.” — Vincent Volaju
3. “Halloween is the one day when a soul in purgatory can be released. If he prays hard enough, he can go to heaven at last. Say your prayers.” — Vincent Volaju
4. “On Titan, I lost two things. One was my memory. I couldn’t even remember my own name. It’s like I wasn’t even alive to begin with.” — Vincent Volaju
5. “Before this life of yours ends, tell me something: Is my memory still left on Titan? Am I living in the real world? Or is this just a dream that these butterflies are showing me? Are they a part of the dream?” — Vincent Volaju
6. “It’s just that he was all alone. Always by himself. Never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams—that’s who he was.” — Spike Spiegel
7. “Years ago, back when I was much younger, I was afraid of nothing. I had not the slightest fear of death. I was ready to die anytime. But then I met a special woman. She made me want to go on living. For the first time, I was afraid of death. A feeling I’d never had before.” — Spike Spiegel
8. “I’m just a gun-toting weathergirl.” — Faye Valentine
9. “Damn it! Morons don’t learn until they die!” — Faye Valentine
10. “Ugh! It’s ideas like this that get people killed!” — Faye Valentine
Cowboy Bebop quotes about hate, fear, death, and dreams
11. “Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side.” — Laughing Bull
12. “When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity.” — Laughing Bull
13. “I have no fear of death. It just means dreaming in silence. A dream that lasts for eternity.” — Vincent Volaju
14. “I’m not going there to die. I’m going to find out if I’m really alive.” — Spike Spiegel
15. “Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though they were frantically searching for proof that they truly lived.” — Jet Black
16. “I felt like I was watching a dream I’d never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over.” — Spike Spiegel
17. “Once, there was a tiger striped cat. This cat, died a million deaths, revived and lived a million lives. And he had various owners that he didn’t really care about, the cat wasn’t afraid to die. Then ONE day, he met a white female cat, the two of them fell in love and lived together happily. Well, the years went by and the white female cat got old and passed away. The Tiger Striped cat cried a million times, then he also died. But this time he didn’t come back.” — Spike Spiegel
18. “It’s just like Charlie said in my dream. If you want to receive you have to give. See Spike, you got to listen to your dreams, that’s how you find your dream girl.” — Jet Black
19. “There are three things I hate the most: Kids, pets, and women with attitude. So tell me, why do we have all of them packed into our ship!?” — Spike Spiegel
Cowboy Bebop quotes about God, angels, humans, and souls
20. “A fallen angel banished from heaven, arises into the light to be received by the benevolence of God…” — Spike Spiegel
21. “Tell me, why do you think people believe in God? Because they want to. It’s not easy living in such an ugly and corrupt world… People are lost so they reach out… God didn’t create humans. No, it’s humans who created God.” — Dr. Londes
22. “The souls that God has given us, our spirits. Our spirits, which found a way to swim through the immense network and live in the infinity of space. Is not the human body a mere shell? A form of existence all too small and weak for consciousness with such vast reach and potential.” — Dr. Londes
23. “Angels banished from heaven have no choice but to become devils.” — Vicious
24. “Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don’t desire, but they’re inevitable. We have to face them. It’s what being human is all about.” — Jet Black
26. “Humans were meant to work and sweat for their money after all. Those that try to get rich quickly or live at expense of others – all get divine retribution along the way. That is the lesson. But, one thing about humans is that they quickly forget the lesson they have learnt.” — Jet Black
27. “They often say that humans can’t live alone, but you can live pretty long by yourself. Instead of feeling alone in a group, it’s better to be alone in your solitude.” — Faye Valentine
28. “A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.” — Laughing Bull
Cowboy Bebop quotes on life and the law of nature
29. “In terms, of sticking to our passions, and purposes, where it makes other people think we’re insane. But I believe life is lived at its fullest potential in those moments.” — Vincent Volaju
30. “Ah! I never wanted to live with this regret. So, I try in every moment to not have anything that I didn’t do or try. That’s so true, when we talk to people who’re older or about to die.” — Jet Black
31. “I don’t know if this is true. Because the growth for us is actually in overcoming those obstacles and things that make us fall. I think falling and not getting up, and the worst thing we can do to ourselves, and the lesson that I took from this.” — Vicious
32. “The past is the past and the future is the future. A man is a man and a woman is a woman. The present is the present. I am who I am and you are who you are. That’s all there is to it. Does it really matter? Or do we just think it does?” — Faye Valentine
33. “No one can draw a clear line between sane and insane. You move that line as you see fit for yourself. No one else can. You’ll understand soon… that the one that’s insane is this world.” — Vincent Volaju
34. “Survival of the fittest is the law of nature. We deceive or we are deceived. Thus, we flourish or perish. Nothing good ever happened to me when I trusted others. That is the lesson.” — Faye Valentine
35. “We are all in the perpetual quest for keeping oneself occupied, entertained, and important—which burns at the edge of addiction.” — Spike Spiegel
36. “Please do not associate us with common terrorists. We are warriors of peace fighting a noble battle for the law of nature.” — Twinkle Maria Murdock
37. “You were always there for me, and that’s all I needed. Just you. For some reason, I didn’t feel sad or broken up, it just didn’t seem real. But slowly I realized it was real – that you were gone. And little by little, I slowly felt something inside me go numb.” — Jet Black
38. “Hackers are nerdy, pasty, tubby, little geeks with triple thick glasses and this is probably a demented otaku with smelly feet. So catching him will be a breeze!.” — Keiko Nobumoto.
39. “Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I’ve been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture.” — Spike Spiegel.
Short Cowboy Bebop quotes
40. “You know the first rule in combat? Shoot them before they shoot you.” — Faye Valentine
41. “Don’t you want to hang out and waste your life with us?” — Spike Spiegel
42. “Why do people stay longer in my head than they do in my life.” — Spike Spiegel
43. “They say hunger is the best spice.” — Spike Spiegel
44. “I think being weird and insanity is where all of us should try to get to.” — Vincent Volaju
45. “There is nothing left to believe in.” — Vicious
46. “That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior.” — Laughing Bull
47. “This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?” — Spike Spiegel
48. “I can’t be stuck in one place for long – it’ll kill me. My whole family’s like that.” — Faye Valentine
49. “We’re Romanies. For eons we’ve wandered the stars looking for love. It’s our way.” — Faye Valentine
50. “The wilds are calling me! You can’t keep me locked up!” — Faye Valentine
Spike Spiegel is a former member of the Red Dragon Syndicate, who left his life of crime by faking his death. He and his partner Jet Black (who is the captian of the spaceship Bebop) are legalized intergalactic bounty hunters.
The pair chase criminals across the planets and stars of the solar system. During their adventures Spike is pulled back into a feud with Vicious, an old rival from his crime syndicate days, who has vowed to kill him.
Spike has a naturally “uncool” and charismatic pull that makes it easy for others to follow his lead. It will be interesting to see how the character holds up in the new live-action series.
Cowboy Bebop has also been adapted into manga and video games. If you are a diehard Cowboy Bebop fan, let us know what your favorite adaptation of the show was using the comment section below.
If you haven’t seen it before, then you have some time to binge watch the anime series on Hulu Plus, before the live action show premieres on Netflix. You can also watch the movie using Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.