Our latest collection of integrity quotes on Everyday Power. Enjoy!
“Say what you mean; and mean what you say!” It seems I heard these words at least a million times growing up. In my early years it sounded like some unconscionable standard that I was supposed to live by; wasn’t happy doing, and frankly sometimes didn’t think I could even come close to meeting.
But, with experience, I came to realize that it was meant to frustrate me, but it was about teaching me to live with “integrity!”
Formally defined, living with integrity requires displaying strong principles; being consistent; staying away from corruption and operating honorably and honestly. When you evaluate this definition, it may seem to approach a level of perfection that is difficult to reach let alone maintain; but breaking it down to the mantra you were taught in childhood to “say what you mean; and mean what you say” makes it clear, simple and achievable.
And, going further as you mature you recognize that it even goes beyond “saying” to “doing.” Your words and your thoughts must be reinforced by your actions and your deeds.
In other words, make sure the words that flow from your tongue are truly what you feel in your heart and match with the intentions and beliefs in your mind. Then, follow-up by ensuring that your actions are in synch with the words you speak. If you follow this method more often than not, you will live a life of integrity, treating others fairly, honorably and with great respect.
Sometimes, it takes a simple quote or verse to remind you of the key principles to live by. So, here are a few integrity quotes to help increase your authenticity. Read on and find one that speaks to you. Memorize it or post in key locations as a reminder to ensure your words and thoughts are consistent with your actions and deeds which will bolster your integrity!
Integrity Quotes to Increase Your Authenticity
1. “With integrity, you have nothing to fear, since you have nothing to hide. With integrity, you will do the right thing, so you will have no guilt.” – Zig Ziglar
2. “Integrity is the ability to accept one’s past choices and actions and go forth and act in accordance with one’s deepest values from within.” – Lynne Namka
3. “It is not what we profess in public, but where we walk and what we practice in secret that gives us integrity.” – Sir Francis Bacon
4. In looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence and energy. And if they don’t have the first, the other two will kill you.” — Warren Buffett
5. “Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting in a particular way.” – Aristotle
6. “He is not wise to me who is wise only in words, but he who is wise in deeds.”- St. Gregory
7. “Power is actualized only when word and deed have not parted company.”- Hannah Arendt
8. “Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.” – Oprah Winfrey
9. “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.”- Spencer Johnson
10. “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” – Albert Einstein
Integrity quotes to help ensure your words and thoughts are consistent with your actions and deeds
11. “Your reputation and integrity are everything. Follow through on what you say you’re going to do. Your credibility can only be built over time, and it is built from the history of your words and actions.” – Maria Ra Zumich -Zec
12. “To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice.” – Confucius
13. “To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.” –William Shakespeare
14. “Never rob your character to enrich your pocket.” –James Lendall Basford
15. “Do not repeat anything you will not sign your name to.” –Author Unknown
16. “Laws controls the lesser man. Right conduct controls the greater one.”- Chinese Proverb
17. “Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.” –George Bernard Shaw
18. “Live in such a way that you will not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.”-Will Rogers
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of gossip quotes that will help you eliminate rumors from your life.
19. “God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” – Chester W. Nimitz
20. “The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour.” – Japanese Proverb
Integrity quotes to remind us to always do the right thing
21. “The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between political parties either – but right through every human heart”. –Alexander Solzhenitsyn
22. “Every human being has…and attendant spirit…if it does not always tell us what to do, it always cautions us what not to do.” – Lydia M. Child
23. “The strength of a man’s virtue should not be measured by his special exertions, but by his habitual acts.” – Blaise Pascal
24. “I forgot that every little action of the common day makes or unmakes character, and that therefore what one has done in the secret chamber one has some day to cry aloud on the house-tops.” – Oscar Wilde
25. “Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to”. –Arnold H. Glasow
26. “Before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” – Harper Lee
27. “The time is always right to do what is right.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
28. “Each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak. And it is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of pulpit, press, government, or the empty catch-phrases of politicians. Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn’t. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide it against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country – hold up your head.” – Mark Twain
29. “We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.”- Martin Luther King Jr.
30. “Living with integrity means:
- Not settling for less than what you know you deserve in your relationships.
- Asking for what you want from other
- Speaking your truth, even though it might create conflict or tension.
- Behaving in ways that are in harmony with your personal values.
- Making choices based on what you believe, and not what others believe.” —Barbara DeAngelis
Integrity quotes to remind of the importance of this trait
31. “I am not bound to win, but I bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.” –Abraham Lincoln
32. “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” – Marcus Aurelius
33. “Be faithful to that which exists within yourself.” – Andre’ Gide
34. “Integrity is not a conditional word. It doesn’t blow in the wind or change with the weather. It is your inner image of yourself, and if you look in there and see a man who won’t cheat, then you know he never will. Integrity is not a search for the rewards of integrity. Maybe all you ever get for it is the largest kick in the ass the world can provide. It is not supposed to be a productive asset.” – John D. MacDonald
35. “Allow yourself to think only those thoughts that match your principles and can bear the bright light of day. Day by day, your choices, your thoughts, your actions fashion the person you become. Your integrity determines your destiny.” – Heraclitus
36. “A mode of conduct, a standard of courage, discipline, fortitude and integrity can do a great deal to make a woman beautiful.” –Jacqueline Bisset
37. “An authentic and genuine life grows like a sturdy tree. And like a tree, it grows slowly. Every time you make a different and better decision, it grows a little. Every time you choose to do the right thing, even when nobody would find out otherwise, it grows a little. Every time you act with compassion, relinquish your right to strike back, take a
courageous stand admit fault or accept responsibility, it grows a little.” — Steve Goodier
38. “Integrity is congruence between what you know, what you profess, and what you do.” –Nathaniel Branden
39. “There comes a time in your life when you can no longer put off choosing. You have to choose one path or the other. You can live safe and be protected by people just like you, or you can stand up and be a leader for what is right. Always, remember this: People never remember the crowd; they remember the one person that had the courage to say and do what no one would do.” — Shannon L. Adler
40. “Decide what you stand for. And then stand for it all the time.”- Clayton M. Christensen
Thought-provoking integrity quotes
41. “I’ve heard it said of faith that first we jump, and then we grow wings. Integrity is like that too, I think. That’s what you have to gain. The sacrifice turns into a gift that is priceless.” – Matt Baldwin
43. ” You don’t have to walk on water, it’s how you walk on land.” –Jason Crabb
44. “What health is to the body; honesty is to the soul.” –Amit Kalantri
45. ” We prove ourselves by the way we live, and the way we live resonates among all we know and do.” – Robert Vanleeuwen
46. “Nobody will ever take you se rious in life, until they know that your yes is yes, and your no is no.” – Bamigboye Olurotimi
47. “A house built with integrity will endure and so will a company.” – Khang Kijarro Nguyen
48. “When you take the high road to living a virtuous life, you are fortified by knowing that regardless of what life throws your way or what storms may rage, you are grounded in goodness. In this, you secure not only your own integrity, but you secure it in the eyes of others. ” – Susan C. Young
49. “Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth loving.” – James E. Faust
50. “The thought manifest the word: The word manifests the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So, watch the thought and its ways with care, And let them spring forth from love born out of compassion for all beings. As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.” –Juan Mascaro
Other inspirational integrity quotes
51. “We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be.” – May Sarton
52. “The more of me I be, The clearer I can see.” – Rachel Andrews
53. “Pretentiousness repels but authenticity attracts, and vulnerability is the pathway to intimacy.” – Rick Warren
54. “As you become more aligned with the truth of who you are, the question of liking yourself goes away. It is a natural state of being.” – Rachel Andrews
55. “Listen with curiosity. Speak with honesty. Act with integrity.” – Roy Bennett
56. “Integrity is not defined by how you perceive yourself to be, but rather by your moral actions.” – Wayne Chirisa
57. “You might be a person of high integrity if you showed it when nobody was around.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
58. “You will never attain integrity if you lack the courage to stand up for what you believe is right.” – Husam Wafaei
59. “Integrity is the bond of trust.” – Richie Norton
60. “Each of us is an artist of our days; the greater our integrity and awareness, the more original and creative our time will become.” – John O’Donohue
Integrity Quotes To Inspire Quality Leadership
61. “Leading with integrity and empathy requires vision and a connection to your deepest self.” — Karla McLaren
62.“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.” — Bob Marley
63. “It is true that integrity alone won’t make you a leader, but without integrity, you will never be one.” — Zig Ziglar
64. “The glue that holds all relationships together–including the relationship between the leader and the led–is trust, and trust is based on integrity.” — Brian Tracy
65. “The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.” — Confucius
66. “Everyone makes mistakes, but only a person with integrity owns up to them.” — Nicole Guillaume
67. “Integrity is making sure that the things you say and the things you do are in alignment.” — Katrina Mayer
68. “People of integrity and honesty not only practice what they preach, they are what they preach.” — David A. Bednar
69. “Supporting the truth, even when it is unpopular, shows the capacity for honesty and integrity.” — Steve Brunkhorst
70. “With many overhead schemes for the world’s salvation, everything rests back on integrity and driving power in personal character.” — Harry Emerson Fosdick
Which integrity quotes were your favorites?
Hopefully, these integrity quotes inspired you to evaluate and improve your personal integrity. As you move forward, remember, integrity begins with the thoughts, ideas, interests and beliefs you verbalize. It then takes shape as you mold your words and visions allowing them to direct your path – the steps you take, the decisions you make, the processes you carry out.
These all define your reputation, your character, how the world sees you and responds to you as well as how you, in turn, interact with those around you. Based on the level and quality of your integrity you contribute to making the world a better place and helping those who are open and accepting strive to develop their “best self.”
Or, you strip the society of opportunities to grow as well as deny love, compassion, and advancement to fellow citizens.
So, each and every day take a look at the “one in the mirror” and remind yourself to “mean what you say and say what you mean.” Then, convert those thoughts and words into actions and deeds which correspond with your true, best and positive intentions – bolstering and upholding your integrity!
Did you enjoy these integrity quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below.