Metaphorically, lemons get a bit of a bad rep. When you purchase a car that has several things wrong with it, it’s called a lemon. “When life gives you lemons,” means that life has given you something less desirable. These funny ‘when life gives you lemons’ quotes will make you giggle, but they might just inspire you to view lemons a little differently. Lemons are actually quite good for you, and they make things liked lobster, baked foods, and alcohol even better!
Just how are lemons good for you?
Well, they can boost the functions of your digestive and detox systems. They can aid with weight loss and reduce the risk of kidney stones. Kidney stones are awful, and I would rather life hand me a lemon any day of the week!
Lemons are also packed with vitamins and nutrients like vitamin C, B vitamins, fiber, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and folate. Lemons also have some benefits that don’t come from ingesting them. Keep reading through these lemon quotes to see how else lemons might be beneficial in your daily life.
Don’t forget to also check out these Orange quotes to brighten your day.
Funny ‘when life gives you lemons’ quotes
1. “When life gives you lemons, chuck them right back.” ― Bill Watterson
2. “When life gives you lemons its time to open the gin.” ― Unknown
3. “I believe that when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade… and try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.” ― Ron White
4. “When life gives you lemons, keep them, because hey, free lemons.” ― Unknown
5. “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade and sell it for a profit!” ― Unknown
6. “When life gives you lemons, throw them through life’s window and run away.” ― Unknown
7. “When life gives you lemons, ask it for sugar and water too, otherwise your final product would be some acidic lemon juice!” ― Priyavrat Gupta
8. “When life gives you lemons, grab the vodka and call the girls.” ― Unknown
9. “When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye.” ― Cathy Guiswite
10. “When life gives you lemons, order the lobster tail!” ― Zaid K. Abdelnour
11. “When life gives you lemons, get tequila and salt.” ― Sanjaya Malakar
12. “When life hands you lemons, make whisky sours.” ― W. C. Fields
13. “When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade, make pink lemonade. Be unique.” ― Wanda Sykes
14. “When life gives you lemons, you exchange them at the store for something more edible.” ― Grace Helbig
15. “When life gives you lemons, make sure you know whose eyes you need to squeeze them in.” ― Colleen Hoover
Inspirational lemon quotes and sayings that will make you smile
16. “Fifty lemons are a load for one person, but for fifty persons they are perfume.” ― Ethiopian Proverb
17. “A grapefruit is just a lemon that saw an opportunity and took advantage of it.” ― Oscar Wilde
18. “It’s not what happens to you, but how you handle it. If Life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If the lemons are rotten, take out the seeds and plant them in order to grow new lemons.” ― Louise Hay
19. “Nothing says ‘sunshine’ in the kitchen or on a menu like lemon.” ― Lori Longbotham
20. “I want to make lemonade out of the lemons that were dealt to me.” ― Baron Hill
21. “Praying is another way of singing.You plant in the tree the soul of lemons.You plant in the gardens the spirit of roses.” ― Dannie Abse
22. “Anytime the perfume of orange and lemon groves wafts in the window; the human body has to feel suffused with a languorous well-being.” ― Frances Mayes
23. “One who can find lemons sweet and grapes sour is ready for Dame Fortune.” ― Mason Cooley
Lemon quotes and phrases about how they help our digestive system and liver
24. “When it comes to boosting the body’s digestive and detox systems, lemon is a natural powerhouse with an energizing tangy flavor.” ― Theresa Cheung
25. “Lemon supports the body’s digestive system.” ― Joy McCarthy
26. “Lemon enhances your digestive secretions so that acidic wastes are eliminated more effectively.” ― Joy McCarthy
27. “Lemon juice is such a great weight-loss ally because it stimulates the flow and gastric juice and is therefore an excellent digestive agent.” ― Theresa Cheung
28. “The beneficial effect lemon juice has on liver function is important because healthy liver function is the key to good digestion.” ― Theresa Cheung
29. “Lemons are a fantastic source of fiber, so drinking your lemon juice in the morning, drizzling lemon juice over your meals and using lemon in cooking will boost you fiber intake.” ― Theresa Cheung
30. “Drinking enough water, especially in the morning, helps make sure that the liver can do its job of detoxifying the body effectively. Lemon juice helps stimulates this process.” ― Katie Wells
31. “The liver is at its most active in the morning, and the lemon helps speed up the elimination of toxins.” ― Vani Hari
32. “Lemon water increases your fat burn by improving your digestion.” ― Vani Hari
33. “The lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver, liquefies the bile, cleanses the system of impurities.” ― Joyce Trout
Insightful Lemon quotes about other ways they are beneficial to us
34. “The lemon juice diet is packed with nutrients that are good for the whole family.” ― Theresa Cheung
35. “Lemons offer far more than delicious smells and a sour flavor.” ― Chris Shaw
36. “Adding lemons to your food and drinks offer many health benefits, lemons also offer some incredible beauty benefits as well.” ― Chris Shaw
37. “Beyond the beauty benefits of lemons, lemons can also be used for eco-friendly, safe cleaning in your home.” ― Chris Shaw
38. “Cooking with lemon is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of lemons while adding flavor to your favorite dishes.” ― Chris Shaw
39. “If you’re not using the small but powerful lemon regularly, you’re missing all the incredible benefits lemons have to offer.” ― Chris Shaw
40. “A mist of lemon water cools the face. A rub of lemon cleans the hands. The fresh scent of lemon herbs infuses perfumes, bath oils, skin lotions, and scented candles.” ― Ellen Spector Platt
41. “The humble lemon contains most of the vitamins and minerals. It has magical and wonderful healing powers.” ― Dr. Rajiv Sharma
42. “Lemon juice is probably the best of all antiscorbutics, being almost a specific in scurvy.” ― Dr. Rajiv Sharma
43. “Research scientists in Argentina have discovered that lemon is a natural disinfectant for drinking water.” ― Vijaya Kumar
44. “Lemon oil is an excellent insect repellant.” ― Vijaya Kumar
45. “Adding some freshly squeezed lemon juice ‘spikes’ the warm water with nutritional and detoxification benefits.” ― Katie Wells
46. “Lemons are amazingly and enduringly popular. Their peel and juice have a delightfully fresh citrus aroma and a surprisingly sharp tang.” ― Penny Stanway
47. “Lemons also have a great many effect many commercial uses, such as in the production flavorings and preservatives for soft drinks, foaming agents for detergents and solvents for paint-strippers.” ― Penny Stanway
48. “One of the negative side, some artists use the image of a cut lemon to insinuate that something is sour, faulty or otherwise amiss.” ― Penny Stanway
49. “Lemons are nearly always extremely sour, because they contain a lot of acid but scarcely any sugar. However, this very acidity helps account for their domestic and commercial value, while a little culinary know-ho, makes them eminently edible and ensures their position among our favorite fruits.” ― Penny Stanway
50. “The lovely right fruit of the lemon tree offers a tart and flavorful source of fiber, plus vitamin C and other nutrients.” ― Penny Stanway
More zesty lemon quotes to brighten your day
51. “When life gives you lemons, sell them and buy a pineapple. How to better your life 101.” ― Davin Turney
52. “If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you kept in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade was to squeeze the hell out of them.” ― Stephen King
53. “You have to turn the lemons life gives you into lemonade, and you have to take time to sit back and enjoy it.” ― Jon Jones
54. “Lemons clean everything. It’s the greatest disinfectant.” ― Sandra Bullock
55. “I have two choices: Sit at home and feel sorry for myself, or make lemonade out of lemons.” ― Stormy Daniels
56. “I love fresh citrus and always keep lemons, limes, and oranges on hand; they come in handy for spritzing up quickly grilled meats, seafoods, and vegetables, especially when followed up by a quick drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.” ― Emeril Lagasse
57. “In all my work, I try to say – ‘You may be given a load of sour lemons, why not try to make a dozen lemon meringue pies?’” ― Maya Angelou
58. “If life gives you lemons, don’t settle for simply making lemonade – make a glorious scene at a lemonade stand.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
59. “Lemonade is not just made of lemons. It’s barely lemons! It’s mostly water and sugar! Life didn’t give us that.” ― Ryan Higa
60. “You really can’t take a cat and turn it into a dog, or try and get lemons off an apple tree, or what have you.” ― Diane Lane
What did you learn from these lemon quotes?
From insect repellent to household cleaning products, there are many ways you can use lemons. So the next time life hands you a few lemons, don’t think of it as a terrible thing.
Sure, we will encounter some bitter and sour moments in our lives, but we can use those moments to learn something and help ourselves. Just because a lemon isn’t a fruit you want to snack on, like a strawberry or a blueberry, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t serve a purpose.
There are so many ways to use lemons, and even make them taste delicious. They just need a little love. That bright yellow color is also great at boosting happiness, so maybe leave a few in your fruit bowl on the counter to look at!
What is your favorite use for lemons (leave some recipes in the comment section below)? If you have any other funny ‘when life gives you lemons’ quotes and sayings, feel free to leave those there too.