If doubt keeps getting in your way, these doubt quotes will help you overcome.
Doubt is a sneaky little thing that can creep into your life without you even knowing if you’re not careful.
Before you know it, you find yourself second-guessing yourself, the people around you, your faith, and everything. Doubt can take over and keep you stuck.
Learning how to overcome doubt can be an important step in learning how to live fully, step into full confidence, and go after your dreams. If you need a little motivation, these doubt quotes can help.
Don’t forget to also check out these believe in yourself quotes celebrating self confidence.
Wise doubt quotes
1. “Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.” – President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
2. “Doubts in your mind are a much greater roadblock to success than obstacles on the journey.” – Orrin Woodward
3. “Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” – Suzy Kassem
4. “Don’t let them make you doubt yourself. All the greatest visionaries in history have been told they were insane at some point.” – Michele Jaffe
5. “Don’t ever doubt yourselves or waste a second of your life. It’s too short, and you’re too special.” – Ariana Grande
6. “If you want to achieve success then don’t doubt your dreams.” – Ryan D’souza
7. “Removing doubt is like removing a blindfold.” – Tim Fargo
8. “Never let self-doubt hold you captive.” – Roy Bennett
9. “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” – Sylvia Plath
10. “When in doubt, throw doubt out and have a little faith.” – E. A. Buccchianeri
Doubt quotes from books
11. “Doubt … is an illness that comes from knowledge and leads to madness.” – Gustave Flaubert, Memoirs of a Madman
12. “If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the Cross, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’ then surely we are also permitted doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.” – Yann Martel, Life of Pi
13. “You must be careful never to allow doubt to paralyze you. always take the decisions you need to take, even if you’re not sure you’re doing the right thing. You’ll never go wrong if, when you make a decision, you keep in mind an old German proverb: ‘The devil is in the detail.’ Remember that proverb and you’ll always be able to turn a wrong decision into a right one.” – Paulo Coelho, Brida
14. “Once you become self-conscious, there is no end to it; once you start to doubt, there is no room for anything else.” – Mignon McLaughlin, The Complete Neurotic’s Notebook
15. “Faith doesn’t mean that you never doubt. It only means that you never act upon your doubts.” – Orson Scott Card, Sarah
16. “He who replies to words of doubt doth put the light of knowledge out.” – William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
17. “It’s not atheists who get stuck in my craw, but agnostics. Doubt is useful for awhile. We all must pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we… But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.” – Yann Martel, Life of Pi
18. “Hope and reality lie in inverse proportions, inside the walls of a hospital… Doubt is like dye. Once it spreads into the fabric of excuses you’ve woven, you’ll never get rid of the stain.” – Jodi Picoult, Lone Wolf
19. “I started having doubts right on top of my certainty.” – David James Duncan, The Brothers K
20. “I think that when in doubt about the truth of an issue, it’s safer and in better taste to select the least numerous of the adversaries.” – Ayn Rand, We the Living
Doubt quotes about self doubt
21. “If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
22. “I don’t believe anyone ever suspects how completely unsure I am of my work and myself and what tortures of self-doubting the doubt of others has always given me.” – Tennessee Williams
23. “You should never doubt yourself, because you never, ever know what’s around the corner.” – Kellie Pickler
24. “Fear and self-doubt have always been the greatest enemies of human potential.” – Brian Tracy
25. “I keep going because I doubt myself. It drives me to be better. I’ve learned that the mastery of self-doubt is the key to success.” – Will Smith
26. “Don’t stop yourself from greatness before you’ve begun from fear or from self-doubt. You were put here on this planet to do great things, to pioneer change by the way of your own personal uniqueness, and to express yourself and share your happiness with others.” – Kaiden Blake
27. “You’ve been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
28. “I swim in the oceans of judgments, and drown too deep in the puddles of self-doubt.” – Nimisha Toshniwal
29. “I’m not a perfectionist by a long shot, but self-doubt is a large part of my creative process.” – Keith Fullerton Whitman
30. “If, because of anxiety and self-doubt, you procrastinate and only think about working, you’ll feel more exhausted than if you’d created for hours.” – Eric Maisel
Doubt quotes about faith
31. “I show you doubt, to prove that faith exists.” – Robert Browning
32. “Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
33. “Faith and doubt both are needed – not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.” – Lillian Smith
34. “Have faith in your faith-and doubt your doubts.” – Robert H. Schuller
35. “I do not believe there ever existed a Christian yet, who did not know and then doubt his interest in Jesus. I think, when a man says, ‘I never doubt,’ it is quite a time for us to doubt him.” – Charles Spurgeon
36. “One percent doubt is zero percent faith.” – Oprah Winfrey
37. “Doubt is a pain that is too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.” – Kahlil Gibran
38. “Faith isn’t the absence of doubt. It’s belief without proof, not without question.” – Rosemary Clement-Moore
39. “There can be no faith without doubt. No strength without temptation.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
40. “There lives more faith in honest doubt, believe me, than in half the creeds.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
Doubt quotes for when you find yourself second-guessing yourself
41. “When in doubt, don’t.” – Benjamin Franklin
42. “When in doubt tell the truth.” – Mark Twain
43. “When in doubt, use nutrition first.” – Roger Williams
44. “When in doubt, stand still.” – Julie Andrews
45. “When in doubt, make a fool of yourself.” – Cynthia Heimel
46. “When in doubt, scribble.” – Jean Wilson
47. “When in doubt, take a bath.” – Mae West
48. “When in doubt, do something.” – Harry Chapin
49. “When in doubt chicken out.” – Robin Jones Gunn
50. “When in doubt, make funny faces.” – Amy Poehler
More doubt quotes to reflect on
51. “The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” ― Bertrand Russell
52. “Our doubts are traitors,
and make us lose the good we oft might win,
by fearing to attempt.”
― William Shakespeare
53. “Doubt everything. Find your own light.” ― Gautama Buddha
54. “We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!” ― Douglas Adams
55. “Doubt is an uncomfortable condition, but certainty is a ridiculous one.” ― Voltaire
56. “I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; I fear; I think strange things, which I dare not confess to my own soul.” ― Bram Stoker
57. “If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.” ― René Descartes
58. “Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
59. “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” ― Robert Hughes
60. “A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
What did you learn from these doubt quotes?
These may be silly doubt quotes to end with, but they are full of wise words underneath it all. And they speak to the fact that you shouldn’t let doubt control you and your life.
It’s tempting to think that when doubt comes in it’s something that you should listen to. However, doubt is rarely an honest take on a situation. Instead, it tends to be based on fear. And you don’t want to live a fear-based life full of doubt.
So read this list again and inspire yourself to find your courage and overcome your doubt. Be determined to let it not stand in your way.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these doubt quotes and sayings? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.