These Master of None quotes hit home for anyone who has ever experienced traversing this thing we call adulthood.
Comedian Aziz Ansari wrote the Netflix Original series, Master of None, to be his version of Seinfeld or Louie—a comedy loosely based around his life.
The show follows the story of Dev (played by Ansari), the son of Indian immigrants, and his friends as they try to figure out being adults in New York City.
In just two seasons, Master of None became the voice of a generation. With episode plots centering around dealing with parents, cultural differences, the decision between whether to have kids or not, ghost texting, toxic masculinity, and all the other wonders of the modern world, Master of None is totally relatable.
Don’t forget to also check out these JoJo Rabbit quotes from the comedic World War II drama.
Relatable Master of None quotes
1. “Got it, okay. Well, neither of us are doctors. Isn’t it worth a minute to Google it just to be safe?” — Dev
2. “If you’re born with a vagina, everybody knows that creepy dudes are just part of the deal.” — Denise
3. “No, I just wanted to do one dinner. I didn’t want a serious relationship with my father.” — Brian
4. “That bounce house is calling my name. Later.” — Arnold
5. “Some black people think being gay’s a choice. And when they find out that their kid is gay, they try to figure out what they did wrong.” — Teen Denise
6. “I’m gay. I’ve always been gay. But I’m still the same person. I’m still your daughter. Nothing’s changed.” — Denise
7. “Isn’t it weird, all of us first-generation kids, we have these amazing lives all because our parents made these crazy sacrifices? Shouldn’t we find out more? Shouldn’t we at least try to thank them somehow?” — Dev
8. “Sorry, I can’t. I’m meeting Dev to see a movie, and I love answering those movie trivia questions they put up before the show.” — Dev
Funny Master of None quotes
9. “I don’t know why they call it Plan B. What is Plan A? Having the kid? That’s a terrible plan. ” — Arnold
10. “I can’t talk right now, bud. You’re distracting me from my bounce.” — Arnold
11. “Wow. I gotta say, out of the fifteen XMen movies I’ve seen, that was definitely in the top nine. ” — Brian
12. Dev: I actually had a friend who was in a situation like this and they got pregnant, so…
Rachel: That seems anecdotal.
Dev: No, no, I knew the person, it’s a real friend.
Rachel: That’s what anecdotal means.
13. “Oh, man, I think they have one of those giant keyboards you can play with your footsteps. I’ll be right back. ” — Arnold
More Master of None quotes
14. “You’re a McDonald’s and Denise is a Burger King. Now, both of y’all sit on down so we can get ready to eat.” — Catherine
15. “We got it. God is able. Jesus wept. Can we please talk about O.J.? ” — Joyce
16. “I was walking around in Washington Square Park a few years ago and some guy said they needed a minority for a Fruit by the Foot commercial, so I did it and got paid pretty well, so I just kept doing more commercials. And from that I kind of fell into it more regular acting.” — Dev
17. “He worked very hard there before going to America. You know the little tabs that go on the end of the zipper that you pull? He made the holes in them. He was so good at that. The best. If he didn’t go to America, you would probably be working in that zipper factory now, making those holes.” — Dr. Ramusami
18. “Madam President, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Prime Minister Cho, it’s truly an honor to be here in the Oval Office, though I wish it were under better circumstances. I just came back from a meeting with the world’s top scientists. They’re all dead. The virus, it got them all. I was able to obtain a sample, but it’s not in the vial. It’s… it’s in my blood.” — Dev
19. “Oh I’ve never heard my dad say the word proud. It’s always like “Oh that’s it? That’s all you’ve done?” If I went to the moon, honestly, he would be like, “When are you going to Mars?”” — Brian
20. “Yeah, dude, most white families would be so psyched to adopt me.” — Dev
Which Master of None character do you relate with the most?
The first two seasons of Master of None follow Dev as he navigates being a single 30-something man in New York. After the second season, there was a four-year break before the third season was released.
When fans wondered what would happen next, Ansari said he would have to have some serious life changes before writing the third season. He had simply written all he wanted to about a young man in New York and was ready to mature his characters and tell a new story.
When the third season was finally released, audiences were surprised to find that the show had changed directions completely. Now called Master of None: Moments in Love, the series now follows Dev’s best friend Denise (played by Lena Waithe) in her romantic, professional, and personal life.
Did you enjoy these Master of None quotes and lines? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.