These Halt and Catch Fire quotes will give you a taste of the show.
Many computer and technology enthusiasts are hooked on the Halt and Catch Fire series due to its theme.
This series is set in the early 1980s and has covered more than a decade of innovation and progress in the world of computer engineering.
It centered on the life of three main characters who each have their own strengths and weaknesses in building a computer that would change the landscape of the future. One is an engineer, another is a visionary, and the last is a prodigy.
It all started when tech giant IBM’s PC flagship innovation had flaws in its processes which was seen as an advantage to take over and be dominated by competitor Cardiff Electric led by Joe MacMillan.
Along with engineer Gordon Clark and prodigy Cameron Howe, MacMillan led the revolutionization of computers, making it a thrilling tech drama series everyone can watch out for.
Read these Halt and Catch Fire quotes to see what you think of the show.
Don’t forget to also check out these Katherine Johnson quotes from NASA’s human-computer.
Halt and Catch Fire quotes by Joe MacMillan
1. “Progress depends on our changing the world to fit us. Not the other way around.” — Joe MacMillan
2. “Computers aren’t the thing. They’re the thing that gets us to the thing.” — Joe MacMillan
3. “All we have to do is imagine it, trust it, and flip the switch.” — Joe MacMillan
4. “Tomorrow, you start building tomorrow.” — Joe MacMillan
5. “There’s always another move.” — Joe MacMillan
6. “In the end, it doesn’t matter what design we choose because it’s what’s inside the machine that’s brilliant.” — Joe MacMillan
7. “At the time, I thought I was unhappy with the project, but in hindsight I realized I was just unhappy with myself. So I guess that’s what I’ve been working on.” — Joe MacMillan
8. “Two things destroy companies, mediocrity and making it about yourself.” — Joe MacMillan
9. “Donna, I get it. It hurts to be thought of in that way. I’ve been there.” — Joe MacMillan
10. “Nobody knows better than me how impossible working with your father is. He’s moody, impatient, ungrateful, and the know-it-all problem is legendary.” — Joe MacMillan
11. “It has been a pleasure to fall asleep and wake up in your work space.” — Joe MacMillan
12. “On the internet you think you can be who you really are.” — Joe MacMillan
More Halt and Catch Fire quotes by Joe MacMillan
13. “The real security is trusting no one.” — Joe MacMillan
14. “Network computing will be the next great public utility.” — Joe MacMillan
15. “It’s amazing, isn’t it. One day Hayley’s four and building a fort out of sofa cushions and the next she’s telling Kids in the Hall jokes. It’s just… It’s so cool.” — Joe MacMillan
16. “Time comes when… well you gotta grab your balls and jump, am I right?” — John
17. “I’m trying to make maps irrelevant.” — Joe MacMillan
18. “I thought that maybe we could do this precisely because we’re all unreasonable people.” — Joe MacMillan
19. “Let’s leave the past where it is and build something truly special together. No. Scratch that. You build it. I’ll get out of the way this time.” — Joe MacMillan
20. “Good is the enemy of great. If anything’s worth pursuing, we’ll remember it tomorrow.” — Joe MacMillan
21. “The thing that gets you to the thing.” — Joe MacMillan
22. “This business is in my blood, and let me tell you, the revolution hasn’t even started yet.” — Joe MacMillan
23. “Let me start by asking a question.” — Joe MacMillan
Halt and Catch Fire quotes by Gordon Clark
24. “We had a problem. Now we have a product.” — Gordon Clark
25. “The hardest thing in life is to get knocked down and then get back up constantly. But we do it because we love it and we know deep down that if it’s the right idea, it could be bigger than all of us.” — Gordon Clark
26. “You can have it fast, or you can have it work.” — Gordon Clark
Halt and Catch Fire quotes by Donna Clark
27. “Jesus Christ! You won! You got Haley and Gordon and Cameron! You got everybody! What else do you want?!” — Donna Clark
28. “Software comes and goes. Hardware is forever.” — Donna Clark
29. “It’s easy to lose sight of what’s great when it’s right in front of you. You get used to it.” — Donna Clark
30. “What we need is a sophisticated rules engine in place. What I see is no rules engine.” — Donna Clark
31. “I always forget how great Joe is with the girls. He just lights them right up.” — Donna Clark
32. “I spent so much time telling him everything he did was wrong.” — Donna Clark
33. “It’s a good thing your father isn’t here to see this. He’d be devastated.” — Donna Clark
Halt and Catch Fire quotes by Cameron Howe
34. “Listen, I don’t want to add to your misery here, but the coffeemaker is broken.” — Cameron Howe
35. “I’m working, so why don’t you go do whatever a product manager does.” — Cameron Howe
36. “I want to build something that makes people fall in love.” — Cameron Howe
37. “Authenticity is what inspires people. If you want to lead people, you have to show them who you really are. Otherwise, you’re just a thousand-dollar suit with nothing inside.” — Cameron Howe
38. “A lot of people are gonna want us to fail. But that’s because we’re the future and there’s nothing scarier than that.” — Cameron Howe
39. “Joe likes the dishes done in a particular way, so I just don’t do them anymore.” — Cameron Howe
40. “Kids are great if you can give birth to a 14-year-old.” — Cameron Howe
Halt and Catch Fire quotes by Joanie
41. “I still get excited about pumpkins. Pumpkins blow my mind.” — Joanie
42. “OK then. The next time I get in trouble, remember it’s because I’m being brave.” — Joanie
Halt and Catch Fire quotes by other characters
43. “Venture capital? Hell, I remember when it was still called money.” — John Bosworth
44. “The past is past, but tomorrow is tomorrow.” — Sara Wheeler
45. “I’ve never met a real-life psychopath before.” — Timothy
46. “You tried to be good; we just had to be good enough.” — Hunt Whitmarsh
47. “Rule number one, you don’t risk your own money. You’ve been brainwashed, gone native. Ain’t nothing worse than a businessman who’s lost his compass.” — Nathan Carrdiff
Halt and Catch Fire quotes from memorable conversations within the show
48. Donna: “Uh. Do you have an idea?”
Cameron: “No. The idea can come later. That’s not what’s important.”
49. Cameron: “What the hell is this Yahoo?”
Joe: “Two guys from Stanford. Used to be called Jerry and David’s Guide to the World Wide Web.”
50. Cameron: “This sucks. The design’s terrible, there’s no image support. They’re…”
Joe: “…on the toolbar. They’re on the toolbar. That’s it. They’ve won. They’re the directory to the web. We don’t exist.”
Which of these Halt and Catch Fire quotes is your favorite?
The show’s name was derived from the machine code instruction named Halt and Catch Fire, which means to stop the central processing unit from working which many tech enthusiasts are fondly familiar with.
The personal computer revolution was the main theme of this series, with the growth and development of the World Wide Web being focused on.
From 2014 to 2017, many are enticed to see how each episode unfolds that is why it was such a hit on the cable network AMC.
The Halt and Catch Fire series may have only lived for four seasons with a total of 40 episodes but many viewers would love to have more of it.
Since technology and the age of innovation have always been part of progress, seeing this kind of series is a huge reminder of what it was back then when it was only starting.
If you enjoyed the series, you can relive it anytime with these Halt and Catch Fire quotes and sayings.