If you’re an athlete or sports fan, you will enjoy these Friday Night Lights quotes.
Friday Night Lights is a sports drama series by Peter Berg. It was inspired by the 1990 non-fiction book by H.G Bassinger.
The show is about a high school football team in a small rural community in Texas and was filled with realistic sports drama and portrays life in a rural community.
Although the show did not really have a big audience to keep its ratings, it is commended for its fantastic storytelling, character build-up, and realistic portrayal of Middle America. This show scored multiple nominations and awards during its run.
These Friday Night Lights quotes will keep you inspired to persevere in the face of tough challenges.
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of Altered Carbon quotes from the Netflix series.
Friday Night Lights quotes by Coach Taylor
1. “Success is not a goal; it’s a byproduct.” — Coach Taylor
2. “Champions don’t give up. Champions don’t complain. Champions give 200 percent. You’re not champions until you’ve earned it.” — Coach Taylor
3. “Opportunity does not knock. It presents itself when you beat down the door.” — Coach Taylor
4. “A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on that field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts.” — Coach Taylor
5. “You listen to people that love you, and you listen to people that you trust. Most of all, you listen to yourself.” — Coach Taylor
6. “Marriage requires maturity. Marriage requires two people that will listen, really listen, to each other. Marriage, most of all, requires compromise.” — Coach Taylor
7. “You give 110 percent all the time, not just when you feel like it.” — Coach Taylor
8. “Every man at some point in his life is gonna lose a battle. He’s gonna fight, and he’s gonna lose. But what makes him a man is that, in the midst of that battle, he does not lose himself.” — Coach Taylor
9. “No matter what happens, no matter where you go, no matter what you do, I’m always gonna be behind you. Always and always and always.” — Coach Taylor
10. “I said you need to strive to be better than everyone else. I didn’t say you needed to be better than everyone else. But you gotta try. That’s what character is: It’s in the try.” — Coach Taylor
11. “You get one chance in life, fellas. You can either take advantage of it, or you can piss it away. You do that latter, and you’re gonna regret it the rest of your lives.” — Coach Taylor
12. “You can’t beat yourself up because you’re taking chances on things.” — Coach Taylor
13. “Son, everything I know about women, you could fit in this coffee cup here.” — Coach Taylor
14. “Stay away from dumb, gentlemen.” — Coach Taylor
15. “6 a.m. sharp means a quarter to 6.” — Coach Taylor
16. “There are more important things than football.” — Coach Taylor
17. “I was gonna help you with the dishes but I somehow got stuck to the couch.” — Coach Taylor
Friday Night Lights quotes by Tami Taylor
18. “Well, you’re gonna win, or you’re gonna lose. Either way, the sun’s still gonna come up tomorrow morning.” — Tami Taylor
19. “Barbecues build morale. That’s why you have them.” — Tami Taylor
20. “Honey, hypocrites are everywhere.” — Tami Taylor
21. “The big deal is that it’s part of my job to make sure that you don’t grow up stupid. It’s bad for the world.” — Tami Taylor
22. “I’m right 100 percent of the time. You can ask my husband.” — Tami Taylor
23. “I believe in you with every cell of my being.” — Tami Taylor
24. “There’s no weakness in forgiveness.” — Tami Taylor
25. “No, I don’t want to go to book club. Those ladies are crazy.” — Tami Taylor
26. “It’s my turn, babe. I have loved you and you have loved me, and we have compromised, both of us. For your job. And now it’s time for us to think about doing that for my job. Because otherwise what am I going to tell my daughter?” — Tami Taylor
27. “I just want you to have faith in something. Something that can hold you when I’m not going to be able to hold you anymore.” — Tami Taylor
28. “You never know what’s going on with somebody, sweetie. Can’t take it personally.” — Tami Taylor
Friday Night Lights quotes by Tim Riggins
29. “If I ever so much see you look at this kid the wrong way, I’m gonna find you, and I’m gonna punch a hole in your chest and rip your heart out.” — Tim Riggins
30. “Maybe one day our dreams will merge together.” — Tim Riggins
31. “My mother never took me shopping for a pageant gown. And because of that, I never placed at Miss Texas. That’s why I got into football.” — Tim Riggins
32. “Ya know, to be honest, I just know you try to sleep with a lot of girls that I’ve previously slept with, so I just left town for a bit to give you a break. Seven, you lose that virginity yet? I, uh, I apologize to everyone here. And if you can find it within yourselves to let me make it up to you in the showers, I’d appreciate it.” — Tim Riggins
33. “I’m gonna need you to shut up because I’m incredibly hungover right now.” — Tim Riggins
Friday Night Lights quotes by Matt Saracen
34. “You don’t have to worry about me. In a fight, I just kinda stand in the back and just yell stuff.” — Matt Saracen
35. “Fine, I’ll sit on your bench. I’ll come to practice, and I’ll do whatever you tell me to do. But I’m gonna hate it. And you’re gonna hate it. Good talk, Coach.” — Matt Saracen
36. “My eyes were open, sir. My eyes were wide open!” — Matt Saracen
Friday Night Lights quotes by Tyra Collette
37. “Two years ago, I was afraid of wanting anything. I figured wanting would lead to trying and trying would lead to failure. But now I find I can’t stop wanting.” — Tyra Collette
38. “ I wanna fly somewhere in first class. I wanna travel to Europe on a business trip. I wanna get invited to the White House. I wanna learn about the world. I wanna surprise myself. I wanna be important. I wanna be the best person I can be. I wanna define myself instead of having others define me.” — Tyra Collette
39. “College represents possibility. The possibility that things are gonna change. I can’t wait.” — Tyra Collette
40. “You know, it’s kinda like this drug. When you’re out of it, you see it for what it really is. But when you’re in it, it seems like there’s no other possible reality.” — Tyra Collette
41. “Do you mind if we make a stop at the women’s low self-esteem palace?” — Tyra Collette
42. “Life’s harder when you truly love someone.” — Tyra Collette
Friday Night Lights quotes by Coach Eric Taylor
43. “You’re what makes guys like me wanna coach.” — Coach Eric Taylor
44. “Don’t quit on me. Don’t quit on yourself.” — Coach Eric Taylor
45. “This is not who we are. This is not what we represent. I don’t teach that crap. These coaches don’t teach that crap. Y’all are going to take responsibility for your actions, I guarantee you.” — Coach Eric Taylor
Friday Night Lights quotes by other characters
46. “But honey, when a door closes, God opens a window. He don’t never fumble the ball, baby. He always gets the touchdown.” — Mama Smash
47. “Does God love football? I think everyone loves football.” — Jason Street
48. “Please don’t sleep with my sister, Tim. That’s like incest.” — Mindy Collette
49. “I would not talk about your job at the art gallery — that’s not reassuring for a football coach.” — Landry Clarke
Friday Night Lights quotes from memorable conversations within the show
50. Matt Saracen: “What are you gonna do?”
Tim Riggins: “I was thinkin’ hit the museum, yoga, library for a bit. Then again, I might just do the usual… wanna go for a beer?”
51. Lyla Garrity: “I was baptized yesterday and accepted Jesus as my lord and savior. What have you done recently, Tim?”
Tim Riggins: “I had a three-way with the Stratton sisters.”
52. Grandma: “You’re such a good boy.”
Matt Saracen: “Well, that’s ‘cause I was raised by you.”
Which of these Friday Night Lights quotes is your favorite?
One aspect of the series that is unique about it is the accurate depiction of what a young athlete in America goes through.
In addition, career-ending medical injuries that change not only the life of an athlete but also the people around him were also tackled in the series.
You should watch this TV series if you are a sports fan and even more if you are an athlete. The series captured the hardship and perseverance an athlete has to go through to achieve his dream and give his best shot for his family and sports fans.
So, hit a few reps in the gym and share these Friday Night Light quotes and sayings.