They may be small, but these childhood quotes show the importance of your own childhood and the children we have in the world today.
Why is having a childhood so important?
Many people overlook children and the big importance that they play in our world. As people grow up, it’s easy for us to forget the way our minds worked as a child and the joy that we experienced in the simple things around us.
In childhood is when the person that we are going to be starts to take form. The people in our lives at that time make a big difference. And we have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of children today.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and heartwarming childhood quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Childhood quotes about growing up
1. “For in every adult there dwells the child that was, and in every child there lies the adult that will be.” – John Connolly
2. “Contemplating childhood is like contemplating a beautiful region as one rides backwards; one really becomes aware of the beauty at that moment, that very instant, when it begins to vanish.” – Soren Kierkegaard
3. “There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.” – Graham Greene
4. “You know children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers.” – John J. Plomp
5. “Sometimes you have to grow up before you appreciate how you grew up.” – Daniel Black
6. “Age is a necessary but insufficient requirement for growing up. There are immature old people, and there are appropriately mature young people.” – Henry Cloud
7. “When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.” – Patrick Rothfuss
8. “Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind.” – C.S. Lewis
9. “Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.” – Chili Davis
10. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” – E.E. Cummings
See more quotes about growing up
Childhood quotes on the importance of children
11. “There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children.” – Nelson Mandela
12. “Children are one third of our population and all of our future.” – Unknown
13. “Children are human beings to whom respect is due, superior to us by reason of their innocence and of the greater possibilities of their future.” – Maria Montessori (see more quotes from Maria Montessori)
14. “Pretty much all the honest truth telling there is in the world is done by children.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
15. “Children are not only innocent and curious but also optimistic and joyful and essentially happy. They are, in short, everything adults wish they could be.” – Carolyn Haywood
16. “Children are magic because they look for it.” – Christopher Moore
17. “Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.” – John F. Kennedy
18. “Childhoods never last. But everyone deserves one.” – Wendy Dale
19. “Children make your life important.” – Erma Bombeck
20. “The soul is healed by being with children.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
You might also like these beautiful children quotes that will fill your heart with love and laughter.
Childhood quotes about family and friends
21. “One of the great lessons I remember my dad constantly emphasizing in our family while I was growing up was ‘Use your R&I.’That is, use your resourcefulness and initiative. He taught us that we were not victims of the circumstances surrounding us, but rather masters of our own destiny.” Stephen Covey
22. “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” – Angela Schwindt
23. “As I learned from growing up, you don’t mess with your grandmother.” – Prince William
24. “Growing up, my parents were my heroes, in the way they conducted their lives.” – Chris Hemsworth
25. “Hugs can do great amounts of good, especially for children.” – Diana, Princess of Wales
26. “Children will not remember you for the material things you provided, but for the feeling that you cherished them.” – Richard L. Evans
27. “When I was growing up, I remember my mother saying, “Your friends are like elevators; they will bring you up or down – the choice is yours.” – David DeNotaris
Also read these quotes from The Little Mermaid to relive your childhood.
Fun childhood quotes
28. “Cleaning the house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing.” – Phyllis Diller
29. “Adults are just outdated children.” – Dr. Seuss
30. “A child is a curly, dimpled lunatic.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
31. “There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.” – Walt Steightiff
32. “Never have more children than you have car windows.” – Erma Bombeck
33. “One thing I had learned from watching chimpanzees with their infants is that having a child should be fun.” – Jane Goodall
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of inspiring Jane Goodall quotes about the environment.
34. “Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
35. “If you’ve never been hated by your child, you’ve never been a parent.” – Bette Davis
Childhood quotes about teaching children
36. “The best way to make children good is to make them happy.” – Oscar Wilde
37. “I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.” – Harry S. Truman
38. “You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.” – Kahlil Gibran
39. “Even if people are still very young, they shouldn’t be prevented from saying what they think.” – Anne Frank
40. “Don’t handicap your children by making their lives easy.” – Robert A. Heinlein
41. “Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” – Margaret Mead
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of inspirational quotes for kids about school, success, and growing up.
42. “We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open.” – Harry Edwards
43. “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” – Albert Einstein
44. “Children will listen to you after they feel listened to.” – Jane Nelsen
45. “Children learn more from what you are, than what you teach.” – W.E.B. DuBois
46. “Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them.” – Lady Bird Johnson
47. “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.: – Frederick Douglas
48. “Children need models rather than critics.” – Joseph Joubert
49. “To every child—I dream of a world where you can laugh, dance, sing, learn, live in peace and be happy.” – Malala Yousafzai
50. “A child seldom needs a good talking to as a good listening to.” – Robert Brault
Don’t forget to also read these wonderful preschool quotes for kids and kids at heart.
Nostalgic Childhood Quotes
51. “Memories of childhood were the dreams that stayed with you after you woke.” – Julian Barnes
52. “Childhood is the best of all the seasons of life, and the longer it lasts with happy memories, the stronger the emotional stability in adulthood.” – Venugopal Acharya
53. “Don’t you wish you could take a single childhood memory and blow it up into a bubble and live inside it forever?” – Sarah Addison Allen
54. “Praise the innocence of childhood soon forgotten.” – Will Leamon
55. “If you carry your childhood with you, you never become older.” – Tom Stoppard
56. “When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so.” – C.S. Lewis
57. “We could never have loved the earth so well if we had had no childhood in it.” – George Eliot
58. “Every time you miss your childhood, ride on a bicycle! ” – Mehmet Murat İldan
59. “Old age lives minutes slowly, hours quickly; childhood chews hours and swallows minutes.” – Malcolm De Chazal
60. “How dear to this heart are the scenes of my childhood when I found recollection presents them to view!” – Samuel Woodworth
What have you learned from these Childhood quotes?
Growing up is something that happens to all of us, just at different times. Some of us had great childhoods and were taught the things we needed to know to be successful as adults. Others didn’t have the same great start and may have struggled with family relationships that impacted how they moved into the future.
Either way, it’s important to understand where you came from and the impact that your childhood had on you growing up. But it’s also important to know that as an adult, you don’t have to allow things from your childhood to control your future. And it’s important to see that you can have a positive impact on future generations by the way you teach children today.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these childhood quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.