These architecture quotes show that it is so much more than an art or mere science.
What exactly is architecture? Well, to put it simply, architecture is the art or science of building. More specifically, the art or practice of designing and building structures and especially ones that people plan to live in.
Architecture quotes from Frank Lloyd Wright, the famous American architect, and educator, give you a glimpse into his philosophy about architecture.
Like many things of a philosophical nature, many of these quotes offer a parallel to life or just some great life advice in general!
Getting back to the actual science of buildings though, just how many types of architecture are there? There are quite a few, but some of them are more recognizable than others and can be found in many different parts of the world.
You can use this new knowledge to caption Instagram posts from your travels about the beautiful buildings you may encounter!
Don’t forget to also check out these design quotes to boost creativity & inspire artistry.
Architecture quotes on what it is
1. “Architecture is the thoughtful making of space.” — Louis Kahn
2. “Architecture is a visual art, and the buildings speak for themselves.” — Julia Morgan
3. “Architecture is inhabited sculpture.” — Constantin Brancusi
4. “Architecture is the reaching out for the truth.” — Louis Kahn
5. “Life is architecture and architecture is the mirror of life.” — I.M. Pei
6. “Architecture is a dangerous mix of power and importance.” — Rern Koolhaas
7. “Architecture is the will of an epoch translated into space.” — Mies van de Rohe
8. “Architecture is the art of how to waste space.” — Philip Johnson
9. “Architecture is a learned game, correct and magnificent, of forms assembled in the light.” — Le Corbusier
10. “Architecture is really about well-being. I think that people want to feel good in a space … On the one hand it’s about shelter, but it’s also about pleasure.” — Zaha Hadid
Funny and short architecture quotes
11. “Everything is designed. Few things are designed well.” — Brian Reed
12. “Practice safe design: Use a concept.” — Petrula Vrontikis
13. “In my experience, if you have to keep the lavatory door shut by extending your left leg, it’s modern architecture.” — Nancy Banks-Smith
14. “Good design is all about making other designers feel like idiots because the idea wasn’t theirs.” — Frank Chimero
15. “Home is where you hang your architect.” — Chare Booth Luce
16. “Prose is architecture, not interior decoration.” — Ernest Hemingway
17. “I don’t know why people hire architects and then tell them what to do.” — Frank Gehry
18. “People ignore design that ignores people.” — Frank Chimero
19. “Architecture begins where engineering ends.” —Walter Gropius
20. “Architects spend an entire life with this unreasonable idea that you can fight against gravity.” — Renzo Piano
Architecture quotes on life
21. “The life of a designer is one of fight: fight against the ugliness.” — Massimo Vignelli
22. “Less is a bore.” — Robert Venturi
23. “Our opportunity, as designers, is to learn how to handle the complexity, rather than shy away from it, and to realize that the big art of design is to make complicated things simple.” — Tim Parsey
24. “One of the great beauties of architecture is that each time, it is like life starting all over again.” — Renzo Piano
25. “Good architecture is like a good therapy session, a good marriage, a good poem – gently and almost invisibly allowing you to be you, as flawed and as beautiful as you are.” — Robert Sullivan
26. “Architecture never derived its force from stability of culture, but rather from the expression of those moments when that sense of stability slipped.” — Mark Wigley
27. “People who build their own home tend to be very courageous. These people are curious about life. They’re thinking about what it means to live in a house, rather than just buying a commodity and making it work.” — Tom Kundig
28. “I’m convinced that without bad design, the world would be a far less stimulating place; we would have nothing to marvel over and nothing to be nostalgic about.” — Carrie Phillips
29. “Any work of architecture that does not express serenity is a mistake.” — Luis Barragán
30. “Architecture is basically a container of something. I hope they will enjoy not so much the teacup, but the tea.” — Yoshio Taniguchi
Architecture quotes for Instagram
31. “We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us.” — Winston Churchill
32. “Architecture is frozen music.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
33. “Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness.” — Frank Gehry
34. “A building is not just a place to be, but a way to be.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
35. “New ideas often need old buildings.” — Jane Jacobs
36. “If a building becomes architecture, then it is art.” — Arne Jacobsen
37. “A design isn’t finished until someone is using it.” — Brenda Laurel
38. “There is beauty in ruins to those who see.” — Emmanual Rajkumar
39. “Great buildings, like great mountains, are the work of centuries.” — Victor Hugo
40. “We travel for romance, we travel for architecture, and we travel to be lost.” — Ray Bradbury
Architecture quotes from Frank Lloyd Wright
41. “Every great architect is – necessarily – a great poet. He must be a great original interpreter of his time, his day, his age.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
42. “Organic architecture seeks superior sense of use and a finer sense of comfort, expressed in organic simplicity.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
43. “A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
44. “The mother art is architecture. Without an architecture of our own, we have no soul of our civilization.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
45. “All fine architectural values are human values, else not valuable.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
46. “No house should ever be on a hill or on anything. It should be of the hill. Belonging to it. Hill and house should live together with each the happier for the other.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
47. “Buildings, too, are children of Earth and Sun.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
48. “An architect’s most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board and a wrecking bar at the site.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
49. “The architect must be a prophet… a prophet in the true sense of the term… if he can’t see at least ten years ahead, don’t call him an architect.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
50. “A great architect is not made by way of a brain nearly so much as he is made by way of a cultivated, enriched heart.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
What did you learn from these Architecture quotes?
One of the most popular types of architecture is that of the Greek and Roman Classical style. The timeline for this type of architecture was from 850 BC to 476 AD, and it consisted of a lot of columns. Structures that fit this type of architecture are the Roman Colosseum and the Acropolis complex in Athens.
Another type of architecture that is easy to spot is Gothic Architecture. This style was popular for hundreds of years, spanning from 1150 to c. 1530. This style started in France (think Notre Dame) and spread throughout the continent.
You can spot this architecture style because of these three distinct features: sharply pointed arches, ribbed and vaulted columns, and flying buttresses
You might also hear people talk about Baroque (Late 16th Century to 18th Century), Neoclassical (18th Century to early 19th Century), and Victorian (1837-1901).
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Architecture quotes and sayings? Do you have a favorite architectural style? Let us know what it is in the comment section below!