These Jumanji quotes from the original 1995 movie will suck you right back into the adventure and remind you how much fun the original film was.
As always, Robin Williams steals the show in one of his classic performances as Alan Perish, a boy who grew up in the fictional jungle of a board game and was suddenly spit back out into the real world as an adult man.
Determined to complete the game and reverse all the havok brought forth by Jumanji, grown-up Alan teams up with his childhood friend, Sarah Whittle (Bonnie Hunt) and siblings Judy and Peter Shepherd (Kristen Dunst and Bradley Pierce).
A classic film filled with comedy, heart, and adventure, we hope you enjoy these Jumanji quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Dirty Dancing quotes from the iconic romance movie starring Patrick Swayze.
Classic Jumanji quotes
1. “Jumanji. A game for those who seek to find a way to leave their world behind. You roll the dice to move your token. Doubles gets another turn. And the first player to reach the end wins.” — Alan Parrish
2. “In the jungle you must wait…until the dice read five or eight.” — Alan Parrish
3. “You’re not a postal worker are you?” — Gun Salesman
4. “Jerks!” — Alan Perish
5. “I’ve seen things you’ve only seen in your nightmares. Things you can’t even imagine; things you can’t even see. There are things that haunt you in the night; then something screams, and you hope to god you will not meet the same fate. Afraid? You don’t even know what afraid is.” — Alan Perish
6. “Did someone roll a five or an eight?” — Alan Perish
7. Van Pelt: “Any last words?”
Alan Parrish: “Jumanji.”
Van Pelt: “What?”
8. Alan Parrish: “So you tried to cheat did you?”
Sarah Whittle: “You tried to cheat?”
9. “WHAT YEAR IS IT!” — Alan Perish
10. Alan Parrish: [in terror] “A hunter from the darkest wild / Makes you feel just like a child.”
Sarah Whittle: “What is it?”
Alan Parrish: “Van Pelt.”
11. Benjamin: “What if someone digs it up?”
Caleb: [dramatically] “May God have mercy on his soul.”
12. “It’s the law of the jungle, Sarah. You’ll get used to it.” — Alan Perish
Adventurous Jumanji quotes from the game
13. “This will not be an easy mission – monkeys slow the expedition.” — Peter Shepherd
14. “Need a hand? Well, you just wait / We’ll help you out… we each have eight.” — Peter Shepherd
15. “Don’t be fooled, it isn’t thunder / Staying put would be a blunder.” — Judy Shepherd
16. “Adventurers beware: do not begin unless you intend to finish. The exciting consequences of the game / will vanish only when a player has reached Jumanji and called out its name.” — Judy Shepherd
17. “His fangs are sharp, he likes your taste / Your party better move post-haste.” — Peter Shepherd
18. “Beware of the ground for which you stand / The floor is quicker than the sand.” — Alan Perish
19. “‘They grow much faster than bamboo / Take care or they’ll come after you’.” — Sarah Whittle
20. “A tiny bite can make you itch / Make you sneeze, make you twitch.” — Judy Shepherd
Jumanji quotes about life
21. Sam Parrish: I thought you told me you were never going to talk to me again.
Alan Parrish, 1969: “Whatever I said, Dad, I’m sorry.”
22. Alan Parrish, 1969: [runs up to Sam and hugs him] “I’m so glad you’re back.”
Sam Parrish: “I’ve only been gone 5 minutes.”
Alan Parrish, 1969: [crying] “It seems like a lot longer for me.”
23. Sam Parrish: “Oh, Alan, I was angry, OK? And I’m sorry, too. Look, you don’t have to go to Cliffside if you don’t want to. Let’s talk it over tomorrow. Man to man.”
Alan Parrish, 1969: “How about father to son?”
24. “Whatever it is, you face it like a man.” — Alan Perish
25. Van Pelt: “Aren’t you afraid?”
Alan Parrish: “I’m terrified. But my father says you should always face what you’re afraid of.”
Best Jumanji quotes
26. Sarah Whittle: “Well, a little rain never hurt anybody.”
Alan Parrish: “Yeah, but a lot can kill you.”
27. “You coward! Come back here and face me like a man!” — Van Pelt
28. “Run! IT’S A STAMPEDE!” — Alan Perish
29. Sarah Whittle: “You just saw three monkeys go by on a motorcycle, didn’t you?”
Judy Shepherd: “Yeah.”
Sarah Whittle: “Good girl. Come on.”
30. Alan Parrish: “Twenty-six years ago, you played a game with a little boy down the street. A game with drums.”
Sarah Whittle: “How do you know that?”
Alan Parrish: “I was that little boy, Sarah.”
Sarah Whittle: [hushed] Alan…
[she falls over in a faint]
Peter Shepherd: [to Alan] You killed her.
31. Alan Parrish: “So, when can you start?”
Jim Shepherd: “Well, actually, Martha and I were thinking of taking a little skiing holiday in the Canadian Rockies.”
Alan Parrish, Sarah Whittle: No!
[all is silent for a brief second]
Alan Parrish: Sorry. We just…
Sarah Whittle: “…need you to get that marketing done on the new line, pronto.”
Jim Shepherd: “No problem. No problem. You know, I can probably start next week.”
32. “End of the line, Sonny Jim. Game’s up. Start running.” — Van Pelt
33. Sarah Whittle: “Alan, please, last time I played this game, it ruined my life.”
Alan Parrish: [laughs] It ruined your life? “In the jungle, you must wait ’til the dice read five or eight.”
Sarah Whittle: “I was a little girl, Alan. You disappeared, and a bunch of bats surrounded me and chased me down the street. I was afraid. I’m sorry, Alan. No one believed me. I was all alone.”
Alan Parrish: “So was I. For 26 years, Sarah.”
34. Judy Shepherd: “What happened to you? You shave with a piece of glass?”
Alan Parrish: “What happened to you? The Clampetts have a yard sale? What do you want? I never shaved before.”
35. “Okay, it’s my turn. I got it! “Colonel Mustard in the Library with a wrench…. Clue.” — Alan Perish
36. “And I think of all the energy I spent visualizing you as a radiant spirit.” — Sarah Whittle
37. “Don’t ever call me crazy, Alan! EVER! Because everyone in this town has called me crazy ever since I told the cops you were sucked into a board game.” — Sarah Whittle
Other funny Jumanji quotes
38. “What, are you crying? You don’t cry, all right? You keep your chin up. Come on, keep your chin up. Crying never helped anybody do anything, okay? You have a problem, you face it like a man.” — Alan Perish
39. “Stop giving me things that come apart!” — Alan Perish
40. Alan Parrish: “Do you know what happened to this shoe factory?”
Shoe Factory Bum: “Yeah, it folded up, like everything else in this town. It’s pretty cold out there. How about some coffee?”
Alan Parrish: “Why would they close Parrish Shoes?”
Shoe Factory Bum: “Well, when his kid ran away, Sam put everything he had to find him – his time, his money, everything. After a while, he stopped coming to work. He just quit caring. I don’t think anybody loved his boy more than Sam did.”
41. Peter Shepherd: “I thought I could end the game myself. I was only ten spaces away.”
Judy Shepherd: [reads] “A law of Jumanji having been broken / You will slip back even more than your token.”
Sarah Whittle: “You tried to cheat?”
Peter Shepherd: “No, I tried to drop the dice so they’d land on twelve.”
Sarah Whittle: “Oh, okay, honey. Well, that would be cheating.”
42. “Stay away from the walls; don’t touch anything. No quick movements.” — Alan Perish
43. “Why me? I don’t know. Everything about me he finds offensive. You’d think it’d be a waste of his time. Maybe he needs something for his wall, you know, a Parrish – something to go between penguin and partridge.” — Alan Perish
44. “He’s a hunter. He kills things, that’s what he does. And right now, he wants to hunt me and kill me, okay?” — Alan Perish
45. Peter Shepherd: “Do you miss mom and dad?”
Judy Shepherd: “No.”
Peter Shepherd: “Liar. If you don’t cut that out, they’re gonna send you to a shrink.”
Judy Shepherd: “Where do you think they’re gonna send you if you don’t start talking?”
46. “Fine! Take it!” — Carl
47. “The elephant was mine. You’re playing the game I started in 1969. I’m gonna have to play.” — Alan Perish
48. Alan Parrish: “Listen, Carl. I know it doesn’t mean much after twenty-six years. But I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”
Carl: Sorry for what?
Alan Parrish: It’s me, Alan.
49. Exterminator: “Bats aren’t what I worry about in this house anyway.”
Judy Shepherd: “What would you worry about?”
Exterminator: “Well, personally, I wouldn’t want to live in a house where someone was murdered.”
Judy Shepherd: “Murdered?”
Exterminator: “Yep, little Alan Parrish. I’d say his father did it. There’s 1,001 places he could’ve hid the body in this house – especially if he chopped it up first.”
50. “Do you know what it was like to have witnessed Alan Parrish’s murder? Do you think anyone showed up at my 14th birthday party?” — Sarah Whittle
Would you ever dare to play Jumanji?
The original film was based on the children’s book, Jumanji, written by Chris Van Allsburg, who also co-wrote the film in 1995. In 2017, Columbia Pictures released the film’s first sequel, starring Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and Karen Gillian. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was followed by Jumanji: The Next Level in 2019.
Both sequels were successful and took the original story into the 21st century, introducing the jungle adventure to a new generation of children. However, nothing can ever compare to the original.
We hope you enjoyed these Jumanji quotes and lines. Let us know your favorite quote in the comments below!