Just who is Jon Kabat-Zinn and how will these Jon Kabat-Zinn quotes improve your life? Well, he is an American professor emeritus of medicine. He is also the creator of the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
Jon Kabat-Zinn developed a unique approach to wellness and mindfulness that combined scientific findings with yoga and Zen practices. He was a student of Zen Buddhist teachers such as Philip Kapleau, Thich Nhat Hanh, and Seung Sahn. Eventually he became a founding member of Cambridge Zen Center.
He is also the author of his book Full Catastrophe Living. This book explains how mindfulness-based-stress-reduction works. Keep reading through these Jon Kabat-Zinn quotes to help learn to reduce your stress level and improve your health and well being through mindfulness.
Helpful Jon Kabat-Zinn quotes about living life
1. “Wherever you go, there you are” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Everyday Application: You are only going to get wherever it is you try to go. Now, you might not make it all the way to your destination, but you are going to be wherever it is you go. If you don’t take action and make moves, then you are going to stay where you are.
2. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Everyday Application: This is just one of those wise life lessons. There are going to be things that you have no control over. Your only choices are going to be quit, adapt, or learn something from it. Which choice will you make? Learn to surf or stay out of the ocean?
3. “The little things? The little moments? They aren’t little.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Everyday Applications: Be grateful for all the moments. The everyday little things are what make up our lives. They are the foundations for big things. The little things often bring us joy and comfort. Enjoy everything and learn from what is not enjoyable.
4. “Maybe the fear is that we are less than we think we are, when the actuality of it is that we are much much more.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Everyday Application: We talk a lot about the fear of failure (not being good enough). However, many people actually fear success (being more than we think we are). This is because this kind of success brings out our true selves, blows up our comfort zones, and forces us to recognize our strengths and weaknesses.
5. “Breathe and let be.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Everyday Application: Breathing can do wonders for your wellbeing, your body, and your mood. Accepting the idea that “thus it is” can be liberating. There are things you can change, and then there are things that just are. Take a deep breath and learn to know which is which.
Jon Kabat-Zinn Quotes about mindfulness and meditation
5. “Meditation is the only intentional, systematic human activity which at the bottom is about not trying to improve yourself or get anywhere else, but simply to realize where you already are.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
6. “Life on earth is a whole, yet it expresses itself in unique time-bound bodies, microscopic or visible, plant or animal, extinct or living. So there can be no one place to be. There can be no one way to be, no one way to practice, no one way to learn, no one way to love, no one way to grow or to heal, no one way to live, no one way to feel, no one thing to know or be known. The particulars count.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
7. “You might be tempted to avoid the messiness of daily living for the tranquility of stillness and peacefulness. This of course would be an attachment to stillness, and like any strong attachment, it leads to delusion. It arrests development and short-circuits the cultivation of wisdom.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
8. “Mindfulness practice means that we commit fully in each moment to be present; inviting ourselves to interface with this moment in full awareness, with the intention to embody as best we can an orientation of calmness, mindfulness, and equanimity right here and right now.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
9. “He who dies before he dies does not die when he dies.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
10. “Perhaps the most “spiritual” thing any of us can do is simply to look through our own eyes, see with eyes of wholeness, and act with integrity and kindness.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
11. “If we hope to go anywhere or develop ourselves in any way, we can only step from where we are standing. If we don’t really know where we are standing… We may only go in circles…” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
12. “Intelligence is the door to freedom and alert attention is the mother of intelligence.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
13. “You make a problem, you have a problem” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Calming Jon Kabat-Zinn Quotes
14. “To let go means to give up coercing, resisting, or struggling, in exchange for something more powerful and wholesome which comes out of allowing things to be as they are without getting caught up in your attraction to or rejection of them, in the intrinsic stickiness of wanting, of liking and disliking.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
15. “Just watch this moment, without trying to change it at all. What is happening? What do you feel? What do you see? What do you hear?” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
16. “The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
17. “For men and women alike, this journey is a the trajectory between birth and death, a human life lived. No one escapes the adventure. We only work with it differently.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
18. “Note that this journey is uniquely yours, no one else’s. So the path has to be your own. You cannot imitate somebody else’s journey and still be true to yourself. Are you prepared to honor your uniqueness in this way?” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
19. “From the perspective of meditation, every state is a special state, every moment a special moment.”
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of meditation quotes about the power of daily meditation.
20. “Discipline provides a constancy which is independent of what kind of day you had yesterday and what kind of day you anticipate today.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
21. “Perhaps we just need little reminders from time to time that we are already dignified, deserving, worthy. Sometimes we don’t feel that way because of the wounds and the scars we carry from the past or because of the uncertainty of the future. It is doubtful that we came to feel undeserving on our own. We were helped to feel unworthy. We were taught it in a thousand ways when we were little, and we learned our lessons well.”
22. “look at other people and ask yourself if you are really seeing them or just your thoughts about them…. Without knowing it, we are coloring everything, putting our spin on it all.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
23. “Practice sharing the fullness of your being, your best self, your enthusiasm, your vitality, your spirit, your trust, your openness, above all, your presence. Share it with yourself, with your family, with the world.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Inspirational Jon Kabat-Zinn Quotes
24. “We must be willing to encounter darkness and despair when they come up and face them, over and over again if need be, without running away or numbing ourselves in the thousands of ways we conjure up to avoid the unavoidable.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
25. “Patience is a form of wisdom. It demonstrates that we understand and accept the fact that sometimes things must unfold in their own time.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
26. “Make a list of what is really important to you. Embody it.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
27. “Give yourself permission to allow this moment to be exactly as it is, and allow yourself to be exactly as you are.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
28. “One practical way to do this is to look at other people and ask yourself if you are really seeing them or just your thoughts about them.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
29. “At the deepest level, there is no giver, no gift, and no recipient only the universe rearranging itself.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
30. “If you stop trying to make yourself more than you are, out of fear that you are less than you are, whoever you really are will be a lot lighter and happier and easier to live with, too.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
31. “Acknowledging that sometimes, often at very crucial times, you really have no idea where you are going or even where the path lies. A the same time, you can very well know something about where you are now even if it is knowing that you are lost, confused, enraged or without hope.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
32. “Give more than you think you can, trusting that you are richer than you think.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
33. “Awareness is not the same as thinking. It is a complementary form of intelligence, a way of knowing that is at least as wonderful and as powerful, if not more so, than thinking.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
34. “See for yourself whether letting go when a part of you really wants to hold on doesn’t bring a deeper satisfaction than clinging.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Interesting things about Kabat-Zinn you might not know
He earned a Ph.D. in molecular biology from MIT. While at MIT he discovered what he called his “karmic assignment.” Kabat-Zinn found himself leading a campaign against military research at the university. He also protested against the Vietnam war.
Kabat-Zinn met Philip Kapleau, a Zen missionary who came to speak at MIT. He introduced him to the concept of meditation. While he first used the Buddhist teachings and mindfulness principles in his book, he later removed them and put the MBSR in a scientific context.
Let us know what your favorite Jon Kabat-Zinn quotes in the comment section below.