Our latest collection of Hanukkah quotes and sayings to celebrate life.
Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is a Jewish festival that commemorates the miracle of light in the Temple in Jerusalem. The eight-day festival involves food, prayer, dance, donation, oil, giving and remembrance.
Hanukkah 2020 begins in the evening of Thursday, December 10th ends in the evening of Friday, December 18.
Hanukkah lights remind us to never be afraid to stand up for what’s right and to always increase in matters of goodness. A little light goes a long way and a candle of Godly goodness can serve as a beacon of hope for those navigating dark passages of their lives.
The most widely celebrated and enjoyed Jewish holiday, Hanukkah is a great opportunity to give thanks for all of life’s miracles. In that regard, here are some uplifting Hanukkah quotes and sayings to inspire you as you celebrate the concept of light and illumination.
Hanukkah Quotes and Sayings To Celebrate Life
1. “The darkness of the whole world cannot swallow the glowing of a candle.” – Robert Altinger
2. “We light candles in testament that faith makes miracles possible.” — Nachum Braverman
3. “Hanukkah is about the spark of the divine in all of us made in God’s image.” — Suzanne Fields
4. “To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle, every cubic inch of space is a miracle.” – Walt Whitman
5. “May the light illuminate your hearts and shine in your life every day of the year. May everlasting peace be yours and upon our Earth.” ― Eileen Anglin
6. “There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” – Edith Wharton
7. “The miracle, of course, was not that the oil for the sacred light – in a little cruse – lasted as long as they say; but that the courage of the Maccabees lasted to this day: let that nourish my flickering spirit.” — Charles Reznikoff
8. “At this time of year, when the sun is most hidden, the holiday of Hanukkah celebrates the rays of hope and light. Often, it is through simple and unrecognized miracles that we are able to feel the warmth of hope and light.”~ Rafael Goldstein
9. “The proper response, as Hanukkah teaches, is not to curse the darkness but to light a candle.” – Irving Greenberg
10. “Just as Hanukkah candles are lighted one by one from a single flame, so the tale of the miracle is passed from one man to another, from one house to another, and to the whole House of Israel throughout the generations.” – Judah Leon Magnes
Hanukkah Quotes and Sayings to inspire you this holiday season
11. “Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame. Blessed is the flame that burns in the secret fastness of the heart.” – Hannah Senesh
12. “The spirit of Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights, is shared by all people who love freedom.”― Norma Simon
13. “May love and light fill your home and heart at Hanukkah.” ~ Unknown
14. “A candle is a small thing. But one candle can light another. And see how its own light increases, as a candle gives its flame to the other. You are such a light.” — Moshe Davis
15. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” –Anne Frank
16. “Eight days the light continued on its own: A miracle, they say, but not more so Than ordinary lives of flesh and bone, Consuming wicks burned ashen long ago” —Nicholas Gordon
17. “Religion is a candle inside a multicolored lantern. Everyone looks through a particular color, but the candle is always there.” –Mohammed Naguib
18. “I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.” —Jewish Proverb
19. “On Hanukkah, some people ask: why couldn’t we light all eight candles in one night instead of having to light a new one for each of eight nights? It is because Hanukkah is not merely a cause for celebrations; it is a trial of perseverance.”~ Simon Nguyen
20. “We cannot hold a torch to light another’s path without brightening our own.” – Ben Sweetland
Hanukkah quotes and sayings to illuminate your life
21. “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.” ~Buddha
22. “May the lights of Hanukkah usher in a better world for all humankind.” – Unknown
23. “On Hanukkah, the first dark night, light yourself a candle bright. I’ll you, if you will me invite, to dance within that gentle light.” — Nicholas Gordon
24. “Still ours the dance, the feast, the glorious psalm; the mystic lights of emblem, and the word.” — Emma Lazarus
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of dance quotes to help you find the perfect words about movement.
25. “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.” – James Keller
26. “No wonder God chose this dark land to send prophets to, for a candle only shines in the dark.” –Rami Ollaik
27. “When life seems to put out every light you have, It is better to light a candle than to complain about the darkness.” –Unknown
28. “Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.”—Chinese Proverb
29. “Hanukkah is…the festival of lights, instead of one day of presents, we get eight crazy nights.” – Adam Sandler
30. ‘Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.’ – Anthony J D’Angelo
Hanukkah quotes and sayings for remembering an important holiday
31. “When we share something material, we are left with less of what we started. But currencies of spirit, elements such as light, love and knowledge, defy these physical conditions—they increase as they are shared and become eternal. On Chanukah when we use one flame to light another, the glow is not halved – the light is multiplied.” -Micaela Ezra
32. “There always were two ways to live in a world that is often dark and full of tears. We can curse the darkness or we can light a light, and as the Chassidim say, a little light drives out much darkness. May we all help light up the world.” -Rabbi Jonathan Sacks Z “ L
34. “Sometimes, a flame can be utterly extinguished. Sometimes, a flame can shrink and waver, but sometimes a flame refuses to go out. It flares up from the faintest ember to illuminate the darkness, to burn in spite of overwhelming odds.” -Karen Hesse
35. “The lights of the Hanukkah menorah that we kindle in our homes are a reminder both of the Menorah in the Temple in Jerusalem and the light that shines brightly within each one of us. For as it says in Proverbs 20:27: The candle of G-d is the soul of man.” -Libi Astaire
36. “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” -Albert Einstein
37. “I like the size of the Hanukkah miracle; no parting of red seas, just a story about finding extra oil when you didn’t think had any and you really needed it and all the stores were closed. That’s the kind of miracle with which I am familiar, along with the miracle of good food and feeding people I love.” -Anita Diamant
38. “Even in darkness it is possible to create light and encourage compassion.” -Elie Wiesel
39. “A little bit of light dispels a lot of darkness.” -Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi
40. “This Chanukah, the menorah will once again see light. And as I and my family light it, we will say a special prayer in honor of those whose memories it represents. We will not let its lights go out again.” -Dr. Blair P. Grubb
Which of these Hanukkah quotes and sayings was your favorite?
Hanukkah’s lighting of candles is symbolic of many beautiful things and it creates an amazing spirit of unison and love.
Whether or not you are Jewish, the idea of hope that is intertwined in Hanukkah celebrations is one that each of us can find valuable. Hopefully, these quotes and sayings have inspired you and added more light in your life.
Did you enjoy these Hanukkah quotes and sayings? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it. Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and loved ones.