Romantic conversation starters can be a little daunting.
They need to be interesting, but not so interesting that you make the other person feel uncomfortable or intimidated. You want to keep the conversation going, but in a way that makes it easy for your partner to participate.
In order to have an amazing first date or get to know someone deeper, you’ll need to know what topics of conversation will get them talking.
It’s important to think about what they’re interested in and what they’re looking for.
Some people may just want someone who is funny and relaxed while others may be more interested in someone who is ambitious and driven. The only way to know what your date is interested in is to ask questions.
Also read: 350+ Conversation starters for couples (teen, married and old couples with deep topics)
The best romantic conversation starters are ones that keep things fresh and exciting. When you’re with the same person for a while, the conversation can get stale and predictable.
You know what you’re going to say before it’s said, and it can get a little boring at times. So how do you break out of that?
You have to change up your style a little bit. You don’t want to come off like a weirdo or anything, even if you want to be yourself that is more than perfect.
However, there are ways to make your conversations with your significant other more interesting. Once you’ve done that, romantic conversation starters will be much easier to come by!
Here are a few tips to help you break the ice:
Mirror their body language. If they cross their legs while they’re sitting, try doing it too. If they touch their face or play with their hair, mimic that as well. If they lean back in their chair or stretch out on the bed in a certain way, copy them.
This is an easy way to start having fun conversations with people and break down the barriers between you two.
Laugh at yourself. If something funny happens and you make a joke about it, laugh at yourself first for saying it or doing it. This shows them that you don’t take yourself too seriously.
Try not to judge the other person’s answer. Just listen and respond.
Don’t be afraid to go deep or personal with your questions. That’s what makes them romantic!
Ask about something that you genuinely find interesting about your partner or that you would like to better understand. This will help you avoid lame or boring questions.
Also read: 75 Weird Conversation Starters (Weirdest topics, questions and openers)
Now it’s time for some action. Pull out a piece of paper and start writing down some ideas for questions to ask your sweetheart.
You don’t even have to share the answers if you don’t want to; just take this exercise as an opportunity for self-discovery.
After all, if you’re going through life without asking yourself any meaningful questions, how will you ever grow as an individual?
There are many different ways to approach a romantic conversation, but if you’re struggling for ideas, here’s an example of one way to start one.
Describe the physical features that make you attracted to the other person. Describe how you feel when you are around them.
This is not a time to sound like a love poem or write something flowery – just be honest and genuine. You don’t want the other person to think you’re trying too hard.
Say exactly how you feel and what is special about them. What do they mean to you? Write it down and put it in their mailbox or tape it under their car windshield wiper.
If you want to take this extra step, write out your note on a card and leave it somewhere that they will be sure to find it (at work, on the kitchen counter, etc).
Here are 100+ Romantic conversation starters to ask your partner or your crush or lover and build an authentic relationship.
Romantic Conversation Starters
Here are some romantic conversation starters that build a great rapport with your partner.
1. I don’t know why, when you’re not around, I feel like a part of me is missing.
There is nothing s#xier, and maybe even more attractive, than someone who can start an intimate conversation naturally and easily.
This is one of the good romantic conversation starters that doesn’t have to be something grandiose like: “Do you still love me?” or “When did you know?” It doesn’t have to be something incredibly fake deep either.
All it has to do is get your partner thinking about you and thinking about how wonderful you are together and that’s why this cute conversation starter works pretty well.
To be honest, you’re the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing on my mind before I fall asleep.
2. What’s your favorite thing about us being together?
This is another great romantic conversation starter because it shows a vulnerability in them that you may not have seen before – but it also shows how much they appreciate your relationship with them.
If they hesitate on their answer or try to change the subject, then it could mean they’re not ready for this type of conversation yet – but if they answer without hesitation and give thoughtful answers, then you know they’re ready!
3. What was the first thing that attracted you to me?
This is another great question because it gives them an opportunity to tell you what attracted them to you – and why – which helps strengthen your bond as a couple even further than it already.
4. Thank you for always there when I need you most.
This is another great romantic conversation starter because it shows your partner that they are important in your life — and not just important, but necessary for it to function properly.
Whether it’s a small thing like needing someone for lunch, or something bigger like needing them when things get tough at work, it shows them how much they mean to you and helps them realize how important they are in your life.
5. You’re the best thing that ever happened to me!
This is another great compliment-based conversation starter because it highlights all the good things about your partner that make them so amazing and wonderful — and it also lets them know how important they are in your life.
Also read: 250+ Conversation starters for Tinder (With best topics, openers, questions and tips)
6. You’re my best friend, lover and soul mate all rolled into one amazing person.
This is one of the good romantic conversation starters that doesn’t have to be something grandiose like: “Do you still love me?” or “When did you know?” It doesn’t have to be something incredibly fake deep either.)
A good romantic conversation starter can be as simple as “Do you want me to make your favorite dinner?” or “Do you want to watch this show with me?”
7. I’m so glad that you came into my life and changed it forever. Because now I know how it feels to be loved by someone who truly cares about me and knows how to show their affection towards me in all the right ways at all the right times.
As well as when we’re together or apart from each other. It doesn’t matter where we are or what we are doing together or apart from each other.
Because that’s what makes our relationship work so well for us both and keeps us both happy together always too.
Great romantic conversation starters
Here are some great romantic conversation starters:
8. I can’t stop thinking about how lucky I am to have you in my life.
9. You’re the only person who can make me laugh no matter what’s going on around us.
10. There’s no one else in this world who makes me feel like you do when we’re together — it’s amazing!
11. When was the first time that you realized that you wanted to spend the rest of your life with me?
12. I’m not sure why, but when you’re not around, I feel like a part of me is missing.
13. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but when we are together, I can’t keep my eyes off of you.
14. I wonder how many people would be surprised to know that I fantasize about us together every night before bed?
15. You know what makes me feel better when I’m down? Thinking about how much better my life would be if only…you were here with me right now!
16. All day long, all I can think about is how much fun we will have together tonight!
17. You look so cute today!
18. Would it be okay if I told you something? It might sound weird, but… (then proceed with your secret).
19. Hey, can we talk about the future? Do you think we’ll end up together someday? Why or why not? If yes, what do you think would happen first? Marriage or kids? Do you see us having them together? What about pets? Where do you see us living in ten years from now (or other future plans)?
20. Hey, have I told you lately that I love spending time with you? Because it’s true! In fact, I love everything about being with
21. Do you believe that true love exists? What does it mean for two people?
22. What do you like most about yourself? What would someone else say about you if they were asked this question? Would their answer differ from yours? How so? Why or why not?
23. If there were no such thing as labels like “boyfriend” or “
24. You’re so cute when you’re asleep!
25. I love how you always know what to say to make me feel better.
26. I really enjoy your company!
27. I think about you all the time and can’t wait for us to be together again!
28. You make me feel so special and loved!
29. You have no idea how beautiful you are inside and out!
30. I’ve never met someone like you before you’re one of a kind.
Also read: 350+ Interesting Conversation Starters (Questions and Topics)
Tips to initiate Romantic conversation starters with your partner
When you are in a romantic relationship, the most important thing is to keep the fire burning. If you want to make your man/woman fall in love with you again, here are some conversation starters that will help you to develop a deeper connection with him/her.
Choose a subject that has an emotional connection to both of you. When he/she says something about it, ask them if they would do anything differently if he/she could go back and do it again.
Ask him/her what their favorite part of the day was: What did they do? Who did they spend time with? How did they feel?
Ask him/her what his biggest accomplishment was that day: Did they do something at work he/she’s proud of? Did they have fun with friends or family? Did they meet someone new and interesting?
Ask them who their favorite person is in the world: Mom, Dad, sister, brother, best friend, celebrity – anyone. If there’s anyone else who’s special to them, find out who it is.
Ask them about their dreams – or tell him/her yours and ask for their input into it. Ask them what kind of things he/she would like to see happen in their life.
Ask him/her how they feel about different topics like hobbies, politics or religion – but don’t argue.
Also read: 200+ Deep Conversation Starters (On deep topics to break the ice)
Romantic conversation starters for couples
The following are some best romantic conversation starters for couples:
31. Your smile makes my day brighter!
32. You’re different from anyone else I’ve ever met…I really enjoy being with you because we have so much fun together!
33. You know what I want to do? Get away from all this stress and just spend some time with you.
34. Hey, let’s go out tonight. We can talk about everything under the sun – the stars included.
35. If I had to choose between breathing or loving you, I would use my last breath to say…I love you! (This one will definitely melt her.)
36. You’re so beautiful that sometimes I get lost in your eyes and can’t find my way back into my own head again. (This one is great because it makes her feel good about herself while also being romantic at the same time!)
37. I’m so in love with you and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us!
38. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned in life, it’s that no matter how hard things may get, love always finds a way to win over all.
39. I’m not sure why I’m so happy right now… but I just wanted to tell you that I am!
40. You’re so beautiful – inside and out.
41. You make me so happy when I’m with you!
42. Your smile is contagious!
43. What’s your favorite part about being married?? Tell me!
44. Can we just cuddle tonight?
45. I wish we could just sit together forever in silence just enjoying each other’s presence.
Also read: 750+ Conversation starters on topics for any situation (Your ultimate questions list)
Romantic conversation starters over text
Here is a list of romantic conversation starters over text:
46. You may not think so now, but I’m very proud of you.
47. If I could change one thing about our relationship, it would be…
48. We’ve been together for a while now and it feels like we haven’t grown at all as a couple. What do you think?
49. Do you remember the first time we met? How did it happen?
50. What’s something that makes me really happy? Can we do more of that together?
51. If only I could read your mind right now…what would it say?
52. Do you remember when we first met? It was at the mall and I was wearing a blue shirt that day.
53. How many times have we talked about our future together?
54. What do you think about getting married? Have you thought about it lately?
55. When we are old and grey and our children are grown up and gone, will we still be in love with each other?
56. You know what? You’re the most beautiful person in the world to me.
57. There’s no way I could ever imagine myself being with anyone else but you.
58. If I had to pick one person in this world who makes my life worth living, it would be you and no one else.
59. You really make me happy.
60. I love it when you smile at me like that.
Romantic conversation starters for married couples
61. Can I ask you something? And promise not to get mad or offended?
62. I love the way your hair feels in my hands and how your skin smells like flowers and sunshine when we kiss each other goodnight before bedtime!
63. I’ve been thinking about you all day long! How was your day?
64. You’re beautiful! (Say this after she takes her makeup off)
65. Do you remember that one time when we were playing video games together and you fell asleep on my shoulder while we were watching TV together? That was so sweet!
66. Would it be okay if we snuggled up together on the sofa tonight while watching our favorite show? (If she says yes then make sure that you do this because it will build intimacy with her.)
67. It’s not that I don’t love you, but maybe I’m just not in love with you anymore.
68. I’m sorry if I hurt you, but we both knew this wasn’t going to last forever.
69. The only reason why I’m still here with you is because I don’t want to hurt your feelings by leaving without a word.
70. You’re so beautiful when you sleep; it makes me wonder if you’re dreaming about me too?
71. If only words could tell how much I love you and how much my heart aches for your presence in my life again… but alas, nothing can replace the feeling of your touch on my skin or your lips pressing against mine as we fall asleep together every night…
72. You make me feel so alive.
73. You look gorgeous tonight!
74. You’re always on my mind, even when we are apart.
75. You are the only one who can put up with all my craziness and still love me for being me.
Also read: 100+ Conversation starters for groups (Group chats, topics and questions for any situation)
Best romantic conversation starters
76. Your smile makes my heart skip a beat every time I see it!
77. When I looked into your eyes for the first time, I knew that I would never be able to love anyone else as much as I love you right now.
78. My life would be nothing without your presence in it.
79. When you kiss me, I feel like I’m standing on top of the world.
80. I think it’s so cute how you get frustrated when we play video games because you always lose to me!
81. You look so beautiful tonight! I love your dress/shoes/hair/whatever!
82. You make me want to be a better person just so that I can deserve you!
83. It must be fate that brought us together because I could never have imagined anyone who could make me feel this way about them before meeting you!
84. Your smile makes my day brighter than ever before!
85. You are such an amazing person; there is nothing that you could ever do or say that would make me stop loving you!
86. Do you think we should get married?
87. This was supposed to be our first date, but I guess we just went on a lot of dates and never really went out on one together.
88. It’s hard being apart from you when we’re in the same room together because it feels like something’s missing when we’re not touching or looking at each other.
89. Do you ever get the feeling that if you were to die tomorrow, everything would be okay?
90. You make me want to live forever so that we can grow old together and travel the world like this forever!
Romantic conversation starters for girlfriend or boyfriend
91. I love how passionate you are about your work and how much effort you put into everything you do – it makes me excited to see what else is in store for us in our future together!
92. When I look at your eyes I feel like there is no place on earth where anyone could ever make me feel more alive than being with you right now right here in this moment right now!
93. Your hair looks so soft and fluffy. I was just wondering what kind of shampoo you use.
94. I was thinking of getting a new pair of shoes, but then I noticed yours and thought they were amazing. What brand are they?
95. Hey, did you just sneeze? Because you are making me a little hot under the collar right now.
96. Do you have any idea how s#xy your voice is?
97. When you talk to me like that with that look in your eyes, it makes me feel funny inside.
98. It is a crime for someone as charming and gorgeous as you to be on their own tonight!
99. I know this great restaurant at the end of the street, would you like to join me for dinner one day?
100. Excuse me, but do you come here often?
Good romantic conversation starters
101. You know, I have been thinking to ask you out all night – can I get a french k#ss?
102. Hi there, sorry to bother you but I couldn’t help notice how irresistible you looked across the room!
103. I like your voice because it calms me down when I’m upset.
104. Do you know, what makes me feel better when I’m mad at you?
105. Even if we are not together, there is something in me that brings me closer to you, no matter where we are in the world. Do you know what it is?
106. Will it be possible to see your face everyday right after I wake up from bed?
107. Do you know what? Your presence makes me feel reassured that everything will be okay when we talk on the phone before bed every night.
Also read: 200 Good conversation starters to talk to anyone in any situation